Surgery frequency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shezadeh

E.I.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you are/know Podiatric Surgeons who actually perform surgical procedures on a fairly regular basis? I have seen many Podiatry private practices, any some of those podiatrists completed surgical residencies, so I am curious as to how many Podiatrists perform surgery as their primary function. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you are/know Podiatric Surgeons who actually perform surgical procedures on a fairly regular basis? I have seen many Podiatry private practices, any some of those podiatrists completed surgical residencies, so I am curious as to how many Podiatrists perform surgery as their primary function. Thanks!

Not many podiatrists spend all day, every day in surgery. Similarly, most plastic surgeons, orthopedic surgeons and other specialty surgeons usually dedicate 1-3 days or parts of the day for surgery.

We see a lot of pathology that does not require surgery. It's also imperative you have significant office hours to treat patients, see new patients and have hours for post operative care.

We have a busy practice and the docs in the practice who do the most surgery dedicate 1-2 sessions a week for surgery. For example, one week I may have surgery referred from one of our offices on one afternoon of the week and surgery from another office on another afternoon. A few weeks ago I had a few cases from one office, two days later I had a few cases from another office and on the weekend had to perform an emergency case. Our associate has a similar schedule.

So it depends on the week, but several of us in our practice are in the OR at least one session a week, every week.

Lets just say Worst case senario as follows .... 1 sx case a week x 4 = 4 cases a week... x 11 months(lets just say this) = 44 sx cases a year... completely doable... and good to keep things interesting in your practice and keep your surgical skill refreshed and intact .... keep in mind that this was an avg for a worst case scenario situation which would take up a few hours from your work week.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
If your practice receives a lot of hospital consults, you'll likely be doing a fair amount of surgery. In the past 24 hours we received 3 consults that will all require surgery in the next 24 hours. All three involve diabetic train wrecks with osteomyelitis. Most are frequent flyers who are non compliant and don't show up for post op visits, etc. Two will require debridement and bone resection and one will require at least a TMA.

So in addition to our "planned"/scheduled cases for the week, we now have to find time to squeeze in three more cases. So if you have a strong hospital presence, expect to be busy surgically at times that aren't always convenient.

If your practice receives a lot of hospital consults, you'll likely be doing a fair amount of surgery. In the past 24 hours we received 3 consults that will all require surgery in the next 24 hours. All three involve diabetic train wrecks with osteomyelitis. Most are frequent flyers who are non compliant and don't show up for post op visits, etc. Two will require debridement and bone resection and one will require at least a TMA.

So in addition to our "planned"/scheduled cases for the week, we now have to find time to squeeze in three more cases. So if you have a strong hospital presence, expect to be busy surgically at times that aren't always convenient.

No thank you :)

I usually perform approximately 7 cases a week none of which are hospital consults (I&D/amp/salvage cases).