SpinDrift

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I recently listened to a podcast about space travel to Mars and beyond which sparked my curiosity into just how surgery in space might be performed. I researched a little bit and didn't really find too much about the subject other than it would probably be a horrible experience for not only the patient but the surgeon as well. But with long distance space exploration at our doorstep I feel like this might be a good subject to educate myself with. Anybody have any insights they want to offer or forums to point me towards? NASA has a 4th year med student rotation that looked promising and I know NASA has some sort of surgical training for doctors but other than aerospace residencies what else is there?

Reactions: bornhuman

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
There has been some research on anesthesia in a zeroG environment.

About the Ads
OP
SpinDrift

SpinDrift

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I don’t believe most NASA Flight Surgeons are actually surgeons. Don’t know how much if any surgical training they actually get.

Then there was this guy.....

That guy is a certifiable bamf. From what I've read there are some surgeons at NASA that do get training for space surgery. They utilize the pools to simulate zero G but that was about as much detail as the read went but most docs are the aerospace type. Really this is just a segue way for me to get into orbit, that or join space force.

Reactions: nimbus
OP
SpinDrift

SpinDrift

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
There has been some research on anesthesia in a zeroG environment.
Yeah there is definitely a lot more literature on anesthesia than surgery. I suppose its far easier to explore anesthesia in space rather than surgery. Makes me wonder how this surgical niche will move forward.

Reactions: bornhuman
About the Ads