surgery interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woundvac

MALE M0DEL
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my first interview is next tues-wed. what the heck is the interview like? what are they going to ask me? anybody have a clue? is it like interviewing for med school? anyway, i'll post my experience next week.

Members don't see this ad.

where is the interview at? these interviews are truly no brainers. they are all chill and just ask questions aboutyou and your reasons for choosing surgery, about your grades, about experiences. really almost all my interviews last year were totally laid back and i went on 26 interviews.

Only one that i experienced that sucked was MHG, and i heard BI was rough becuase of Big Joe fisher

Members don't see this ad :)
The questions I've heard from almost everyone:

So why did you choose surgery?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Tell me more about (this thing on your application that is unique).
Do you have any research? Interest in research?
What questions do you have for us?
So, where else are you applying?

Other questions:
What's your best quality?
What's your worst quality?
What makes you think you can stay up all night and still make intelligent decisions?
What do you think about the 80 hour work week?
Your hobbies, blah blah blah.
Pretend I'm a patient with a terminal cancer. Tell me the bad news.
Why are you applying here?
What was your favorite basic science class?
What interests do you have in surgery?

one of the staff guys at my program likes to start every interview with the question "so, what's the blood supply to the stomach". I think it's cruel.

i just got back from the interview.
3 questions TOTAL:

why did you apply to our program? what type of surgery do you want to go into and why? what questions do you have for me?

i think i spoke for 5 minutes and listened for 40. you get a lot of "this is why our program is great."

appreciate all of your replies, good luck!

An intern recently told me that he was pimped on about half of his interviews!!!!???? What B.S. I didn't realize I'd need to review anatomy before these things...

Any similar experiences??

Questions asked of me on interiviews

Tell me about an interesting case?

and similarly....

I want to see that you can talk medicine with me, take me through a case you had recently?

Why do you want to go here?

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

What areas of surgery are you interested in?

very easy questions, very laid back interviews, conversational