Surgery or Pathology?

Started by cdc2004
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cdc2004

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an M3 student and have a hard time deciding whether I should go to surgery or pathology.
In your opinion, what would be the advantages of surgery over path?
 
cdc2004 said:
I am an M3 student and have a hard time deciding whether I should go to surgery or pathology.
In your opinion, what would be the advantages of surgery over path?


The two fields are vastly vastly different. The only real relationship is that Surgery depends on path for diagnosis in most cases. But that's it. I don't think this is even close to being possible but if I could boil it down to two things:

1) Patients- Biggest difference.
In path, you don't see patients. You see their tissue but you don't see them. Surgery is really patient centered and contrary to some peoples belief along with doing procedures/operations this is SO integral to the field because there is so much trust involved. If you are into seeing patients... Path is not for you.

2) Lifestyle- Surgery lifestyle sucks unless being in the OR is the most thrilling thing in the world. If you could do without or don't get that rush... there are plenty of other specialties that allow procedures but have better lifestyles. Pathologists can have great lifestyles. There are some surgical specialties that have better lifestyles so maybe this isn't so much of an issue.

Then there are the obvious things (ie procedures)...

But honestly... I still think the people that I know go into pathology don't really like patients per say. Great people, just don't like clinic or hospital work. Do rotations 4th year in each of the fields and then make your final decision.