• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

bulldog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
any general tips for a end of rotation oral exam on surgery? i.e. besides the airway, breathing, circulation, etc. when presented w/ a case, what are some of the things u should talk about that people often miss, or why certain tests/procedures are essential?

i.e.
arterial line vs central line vs piv vs swann....why wouldn't u do all of them?

a general format of how u'd answer a question would be good.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
this is advice i heard from my surgery PD to his residents for their orals-as a ms3, we do not have orals but he was talking about orals to his residents which is a different ballgame I am sure but the same principles probably apply. I cant give you specific examples since he did not give us specifics but what he said was that no matter what you say-just have a logical plan and be able to justify every step in your plan even if it turns out not to be the best thing to do, as long as you had a logical reason for thinkingof it. So in your example if you had a good reason to put in all 3 items in a pt and gave a good reason than that may be just as good an answer as justifying only putting in an art line and telling them why. SOrry that is all i can give ya as that is al i got, may not be very helpful. good luck

About the Ads