surgery oral exam? any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any general tips for a end of rotation oral exam on surgery? i.e. besides the airway, breathing, circulation, etc. when presented w/ a case, what are some of the things u should talk about that people often miss, or why certain tests/procedures are essential?

i.e.
arterial line vs central line vs piv vs swann....why wouldn't u do all of them?

a general format of how u'd answer a question would be good.

Members don't see this ad.

this is advice i heard from my surgery PD to his residents for their orals-as a ms3, we do not have orals but he was talking about orals to his residents which is a different ballgame I am sure but the same principles probably apply. I cant give you specific examples since he did not give us specifics but what he said was that no matter what you say-just have a logical plan and be able to justify every step in your plan even if it turns out not to be the best thing to do, as long as you had a logical reason for thinkingof it. So in your example if you had a good reason to put in all 3 items in a pt and gave a good reason than that may be just as good an answer as justifying only putting in an art line and telling them why. SOrry that is all i can give ya as that is al i got, may not be very helpful. good luck