Surgery prelim interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TorpedoVegas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've applied mostly to surgery prelims for my PGY-1 training (applying to a PGY-2 specialty). I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge about when interviews for prelims are typically conducted, and if they are usually separate from categorical interviews. I ask because I see that a few of the spots I've applied to have extended categorical interviews, but I haven't heard yet---not that I'm worried, but I'm just curious how I should strategize contacting PDs the interview season.

On a related, any tips for contacting PDs (i.e., when) about prelim interviews later in the season?

My understanding is that surgery internships (in general, with exceptions for some big name programs) are typically the least competitive internships to get into. However, I have fairly specific geographic preferences and would hate to have to SOAP because programs prefer to fill their PGY-1 slots that way, which I've also heard may be practice at some institutions.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also interested in the answer to this question!

Last edited: