Surgery residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malignant2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I have a quick question for you.Did any of you have Skype interviews on the interview trail?If yes were they helpful in any way.It seems like some surgery programs are offering interviews especially for PGY2/3 positions.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably just not in the loop of things since I'm not that far, but I haven't heard of such a thing. Though the idea of being able to show up to my interview with a shirt, tie, coat, and no pants is somewhat intriguing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not for PGY-1 categorical positions.

For the Prelim I have heard of such things, since many programs simply want a warm body to cover the call schedule.

Seems like Ophthalmology residency program in Arizona was offering skype interview options to candidates this year.This is what an applicant told me.It would be good idea for it would save a lot of travel/accommodation expenses.I am not too excited by the no pants option though.
icon6.png
icon6.png
icon6.png

Seems like Ophthalmology residency program in Arizona was offering skype interview options to candidates this year.This is what an applicant told me.It would be good idea for it would save a lot of travel/accommodation expenses.I am not too excited by the no pants option though.
icon6.png
icon6.png
icon6.png

Sure it would save time and expenses but wouldn't you want to see the physical plant, the area, meet the co-residents? Maybe everyone in Ophtho is nice and easy-going but I sure as heck would want to know what I'm getting myself into for 5+ years.

icon6.png
icon6.png
icon6.png

Sure it would save time and expenses but wouldn't you want to see the physical plant, the area, meet the co-residents? Maybe everyone in Ophtho is nice and easy-going but I sure as heck would want to know what I'm getting myself into for 5+ years.
The Skype interview was only the second interview. You flew out there and got a tour and met with some people, and then later you had a panel interview on Skype.

AHHH....well that makes sense.
Yeah I just don't know why they didn't have you interview while you were out there, but at least you got to see the facilities.

Yeah I just don't know why they didn't have you interview while you were out there, but at least you got to see the facilities.

Really? So the first trip didn't involve any interviews? That's weird.

Did everyone get the Skype interview or did they use the trip out to "test the waters" and make a short list of people to formally interview?

I could see that helping...sometimes there are some real freaks who look good on paper and they show up and...well, let's just say I am judging that book by first impressions/cover (mixing my metaphors there).

Really? So the first trip didn't involve any interviews? That's weird.

Did everyone get the Skype interview or did they use the trip out to "test the waters" and make a short list of people to formally interview?

I could see that helping...sometimes there are some real freaks who look good on paper and they show up and...well, let's just say I am judging that book by first impressions/cover (mixing my metaphors there).
I just heard about it through the grapevine. I think everyone met with the PD on the first trip and then had a panel interview via Skype.