Surgery rotation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunshine02

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be starting my surgery rotation in a few days and I have absolutely no OR experience and do not know what to expect.

What does it mean to prepare patient lists? The chief resident told me I'll help with that during prerounds but I have no idea what that entails?

Also, it seems like most surgeries on my service end by early afternoon (2pm or so)--what do you do for the remainder of the day?
 
I can speculate a bit, but yeah, ask your residents. They'll tell you what to do. Here is what my surgery elective schedule was like:

5:00am-5:30am: get all the labs and I&Os and write them on the patient list for the residents in the order/style that the chief of that service wants (ask or look at the previous day's list).
5:30am-6am: preround on a patient or two that I'm following
6am-7am: round on all patients with the chief resident, eventually joined by the attending who rounds with us
7am-3pm: Mostly OR, but also clinic, lectures, go take H&Ps on consults, sit around studying.
3pm-5pm: Post-op checks, afternoon rounding on patients (basically check in see how they are doing), consults, etc.

At my hospital, the night shift prepared the patient list and it was there waiting for day shift at 5am. Maybe you guys do it different where you're at. It's usually an Excel spreadsheet.

Also, don't expect to leave at 5 or 6 or whatever time you're scheduled until. You stay until the cases are done and/or sign out to night shift is complete. My advice is never leave without permission and never ask to leave.

Also, maybe arrive early. We had many days that started at 4:45am.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad