Surgery Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCromwell1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am new to the forum and am in the process of setting up rotations for third year. I'm 95% sure I want to do surgery, but I am not excluding other specialties until later in third year. My question is, how common is it to switch specialties in third year after doing the rotations? Have any of you been sure what specialty you wanted to go into third year, and if so, did you stay on course or change your mind? I'd greatly appreciate responses on this!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say 75%-85% of my class either wasnt decided going into third year or changed their minds. I was one of the rarities. Keep your mind open, but also trust yourself. If you do your surgery rotations and love it, that's probably what you want to do - and that's ok! I heard a lot of people convinced I would change my mind abt Peds, and I wavered only by liking one other specialty for about a week. Haha.

Just keep an open mind through the year. Most of my class changed as well. I ended up switching from Psych to Surgery--pick what you end up loving and where the residents best match your personality. It's going to be your life so pick what you enjoy