Surgery Shelf -Halp!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onigiri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering how I should go about tackling this. My plan is to do the divergillio cases in the back, do all the uworld, and ome sections, and maybe read pestanas??

Maybe I should just find some premade pestana cards instead of reading it?

Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Divergillio is supposed to be very good/helpful. I've been warned that Pestana alone is not enough to pass the surgery shelf (though definitely useful as an outline/study guide). There's apparently a ton of medicine on the surgery shelf too. My plan is to go through a lot of uworld medicine and surgery questions, and figure out how much more I need to do based on how I'm scoring.

Fun story - my school switched to a new curriculum and the first class to reach clerkships 50% of students failed the surgery shelf. The school has let us know repeatedly that they are aware of the issue and believe the problem is being addressed (I guess I should find this reassuring?). Good luck to us both!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I was wondering how I should go about tackling this. My plan is to do the divergillio cases in the back, do all the uworld, and ome sections, and maybe read pestanas??

Maybe I should just find some premade pestana cards instead of reading it?

Any recommendations?

If you do all of Dope Surgery deck which has cards made from Divergillio, do Pestana quests, and do UW Surgery plus GI quests, you will do above average on your Surgery shelf exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would do the Pestana Qs + UWorld Qs + Pretest Qs + DeVirgilio Qs
Then try to pound through as many chapters of Devirgilio as you can without taking notes.

ton of medicine on it. like more than practice nbmes and u world. know basics of stroke management, diabetes management, PE, ACS, fluid and electrolyte imbalances, acid base