1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

surgery without medicine first?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by velouria, Jul 16, 2006.

1. velouria

velouria Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

everyone at my school likes to say that the surgery shelf is "mostly medicine." i'm on surgery but haven't had medicine (or any other rotation) yet.
    would you recommend studying a medicine book in addition to surgery stuff, and if so, what book?

i was planning to use lawrence & recall mainly, and also look through NMS surgery. will that be enough to cover the "medicine" aspects??

thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VincentAdultman

VincentAdultman Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can do reasonably well on the surgery shelf without resorting to a medicine book. You'd probably be over-extending yourself anyway. It's not like you have a ton of time to read about surgery, let alone prepare for a medicine shelf as well.

But if it's really bothering you, maybe you could pick up a pretest for medicine and go through a few chapters when you get a chance, see how the IM questions are asked. I rememer getting pissed when I had questions about pyelo and pericarditis on my shelf (didn't do medicne yet). Everyone knows those are "surgical" problems right?

4. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    Don't buy into this nonsense. I honored the surgery rotation and aced the shelf without medicine. Study Lawrence and you will be fine. My surgery shelf contained surgery but realize that things like pancreatitis can be under surgery or medicine. This is well-covered in both NMS and Lawrence. Don't make more work for yourself.

Also, see the Sticky thread at the top of this forum. There is loads of good info about every shelf exam there.

njbmd :)

5. velouria

velouria Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

so now that i'm into the rotation a bit more, my new question is not what books to study but WHEN to study???!!! after 16 hrs the last thing i want to do is snuggle up with lawrence.....
    anybody have any magic pearls to make more hours in the day??? :)

6. excalibur

excalibur Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ...Welcome to surgery

7. Anka

Anka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. Use downtime (between cases, the five minutes you're waiting for your team to show up before rounds, etc) to study. Carry a book with you, or in your pocket.

2. If you're having a hard time studying after a day of running around or standing like a statue, try waking up an hour earlier. You'll be tired, but fresher. Yes, I know that means you'll be waking up at 3 a.m. But if it works, it'll be worth it.

Anka