Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruce wayne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope to eventually become a surgeon one day, and was wondering if the medical school I ended up attending would effect that goal. I've been accepted to 3 schools so far, some really established, some new. Do become a surgeon and get into a residency program, is it based just one the COMLEX and USMLE scores, or does the school have something to do with it? IE More established = easier time?

BW

Members don't see this ad.

your best bet is to read the FAQ and ask questions in the surgery forum. People who have experience in matching into surgery and sugery subspecialties will be found in those forums.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Scoring well on your board exams and the school you go to will have some effect on where you end up. There are other factors such research, rotations, LOR, etc that influence where you end up.

You can become a DO surgeon. Some Osteopathic schools have DO residencies or you could apply to MD residency programs.

Hello,

I hope to eventually become a surgeon one day, and was wondering if the medical school I ended up attending would effect that goal. I've been accepted to 3 schools so far, some really established, some new. Do become a surgeon and get into a residency program, is it based just one the COMLEX and USMLE scores, or does the school have something to do with it? IE More established = easier time?

BW

I've read them and still have questions. I need to make my pick soon. I have to pick between KCUMB, VCOM, and PCOM, if that helps. I have done the research on the schools, and have ones I like more than others, but they all seem like good schools. The only thing that makes me nervous about VCOM is that it is so new and hasn't graduated its first class yet so there is no match list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read them and still have questions. I need to make my pick soon. I have to pick between KCUMB, VCOM, and PCOM, if that helps. I have done the research on the schools, and have ones I like more than others, but they all seem like good schools. The only thing that makes me nervous about VCOM is that it is so new and hasn't graduated its first class yet so there is no match list.

PCOM would be a good choice especially with all the hospitals in the area and their residency programs.You will make a lot of connections there if that is your goal.

http://www.pcom.edu/Graduate_Medical_Education/Residency_Programs/Residency_Programs.html

PCOMs General Surgery program is top in the osteopathic world.

:thumbup: