Surgical Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArrogantSurgeon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on the best surgical anatomy books out there.
What I mean is anatomy books written specifically for surgeons, not the regular anatomy books used in med school (e.g. not Moore, Snell, etc).

I have a friend in a general surgical training program in London and their fellowship exam is INTENSE on surgical anatomy, and I'd like to buy him a very good text as a gift.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's out of print, but there's a really good one I think it's called "Surgical Anatomy" or "Anatomy for Surgeons" by Hollinshead. It's 3 volumes.

Thanks you, I'll look into that one.

Are there any more current books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ArrogantSurgeon
Need some advice on the best surgical anatomy books out there.
What I mean is anatomy books written specifically for surgeons...

So, the text alot of people like and that I got is the:

"Zollinger's Atlas of Surgical Operations" by Zollinger & Zollinger, 8th edition, costs $195.00 on amazon.com

People have been recommending this one, I don't have it & don't know enough to recommend or say that it will meet your needs:

"Surgical Anatomy and Technique" by John E. Skandalakis, September 1999 is the most recent addition, it costs $56.95 on amazon.com

I have to agree with Kimberli once again. The hernia chapter sucks, but the rest of the skandalakis book is fantastic. It's a smallish book that is easy to carry around with you and read before a case. All of the surgery residents in my program use this book.

The Brits tend to be very Fond of Last's Anatomy, a long time favorite. Very intense book with excellent descriptions... a bit short on diagrams but like I said a long time favorite of British trained Surgeons.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Originally posted by CaribSeaDog
...Last's Anatomy...

Is the tenth edition as bad as the online reviews say it is? I have heard you should try to get the 9th edition if possible because there was a change in editors or writers or something that has resulted in inconsistencies and contradictions???

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a seventh Edition. I heard they didn't do such a great job on the tenth. I guess up to ninth Edition should be OK.