surgical electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

threecoins

Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an international medical student planning to do a surgery elective in a US medical school, I have come across a General surgery elective in a Kansas university medical center which has the following description:
This is a clerkship in which the student proceeds to the study of surgical diseases and treatment in a more specific and in-depth exposure than in the Basic Surgery Clerkship. The student is assigned to an instructor of choice; studies an area of interest in-depth within the field of general surgery, i.e., gastrointestinal, peripheral vascular, endocrine, thoracic, etc.; participates in the care of selected patients in the ward, clinic and operating room, and assists in the experimental laboratory if desired. The student also participates in the surgical and multidisciplinary conferences in which clinical problems are related to the basic sciences. Evaluation is based on clinical performance.
I wonder if this sounds good or what? I do not have much experience about US medical schools and I would like to know if this elective sounds like a good one? What are the strong points and the potentially weak points? What are the points I need to inquire about before I go? By the way what are the most important qualities I should look for when choosing the instructor?What sort of OR experince are medical students in the US doing surgery electives are allowed? What does " selected patients " exactly mean, does this stand for "limited clinical exposure"? And what does " evaluation is based on clinical performance" mean too?. What can I do to impress them and get good LORs. I am sorry if these are lotsa questions and I would appreciate all feedback. Any one from KUMC? tell me how does your typical day go?