Surgical Exam (GSSE) Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben W

Reaction score
Hi, I am a medical resident in Australia and am hoping to pursue a career in general surgery. I would like to ask for any advice with regards to studying for the Primary Surgical exam (GSSE) which now appears to be a pre-requisite before applying to a RACS training program.
I have found a great online resource for the anatomy component, www.primaryanatomy.com, and am currently working my way through their question bank and mock exams along with Last’s Anatomy. However, I have no idea how to approach the pathology and physiology component of the exam… The recommended texts are large and laborious. Does anyone who is sitting or has passed the GSSE have any advice on how to prepare for the exam and useful resources? Is it true that the Anatomy component is worth 50% of the overall mark?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I am a medical resident in Australia and am hoping to pursue a career in general surgery. I would like to ask for any advice with regards to studying for the Primary Surgical exam (GSSE) which now appears to be a pre-requisite before applying to a RACS training program.
I have found a great online resource for the anatomy component, www.primaryanatomy.com, and am currently working my way through their question bank and mock exams along with Last’s Anatomy. However, I have no idea how to approach the pathology and physiology component of the exam… The recommended texts are large and laborious. Does anyone who is sitting or has passed the GSSE have any advice on how to prepare for the exam and useful resources? Is it true that the Anatomy component is worth 50% of the overall mark?
Thanks.

Most people here are from the US system for training. I suspect you won't find many that would be able to give you good advice on this test. Good luck on it, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people here are from the US system for training. I suspect you won't find many that would be able to give you good advice on this test. Good luck on it, though.
I see, no problem, I have just found a forum for Australasian Medicine which might be a little more specific for training in Australia. If you have any advice or suggestions on resources for surgical anatomy, physiology and pathology would still be really appreciated. Cheers.