Surgical Loupes, Need guide in choosing one!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushi Chef

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good website to choose my surgical loupes, what is an appropriate price to pay for them, what brand is more exeptional than the next, and lastly, what is the level of magnification that is recommended for a gen surgery residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to find a good website to choose my surgical loupes, what is an appropriate price to pay for them, what brand is more exeptional than the next, and lastly, what is the level of magnification that is recommended for a gen surgery residency?

The "classics" and the ones I personally own are from Designs for Vision. I can't remember exactly how much I paid, I think it was around $850 and that was with a resident discount. Usually you can get a discount if you are a resident or if there is a group of residents ordering. Others I have seen...Surgical Acuity, SurgiTel, and Optivision. I really couldn't tell you which company is the best. I am happy with my loupes and Designs for Vision has been around forever so they have tradition. Most get the 2.5x magnification, but that is totally your call. I would talk with your other residents and if you get a few interested in purchasing, and usually a rep. from the company will come in and let you try them out.

I just noticed that you are a medical student. I would at the very least recommend waiting until you get into residency. You may change your mind entirely on surgery and these loupes are custom made so you would be stuck with a really expensive pair of dorky looking glasses. Also some programs (mine did not) either purchase them for you or allow you to use educational money to purchase loupes

Last edited:

I highly recommend using the search function because there are tons of questions on this topic, with some lengthy threads, both here, in the PRS and the Ophtho forums.

Secondly, are you really a medical student? If so, be aware that many programs purchase them for their categorical residents. I cannot imagine that you would need them as a medical student and I would wait to purchase them until I knew for sure that someone else wasn't paying for them.

2.5 is adequate for general surgery. Some have the 3.5 mag but these generally tend to be people doing microvascular stuff like the PRS guys.

Designs for Vision are the most popular brand and are what the vast majority of us have. You may find another brand that you like better; its a matter of trying them, seeing what service you will get, price etc.

Expect to pay, with an educational/resident discount around $900-$1100 or so. If there are a group purchasing them they may be less, if its just you, you might pay more. They are fit for you, so I do not recommend purchasing used ones unless you are willing to spend some money to have them refit for your focal length, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you wear glasses, you can buy loupes reimbursed through a health care reimbursement account. Save you a few hundred or so in taxes, but takes some planning.

there are a ton of posts on this subject
BUT....i have to chime in again-

designs for visions- thick buddy holly classic frames are the only way to go.

--nothing says "all business" like those glasses.

no funny "designer" frames, oakley/nike stuff- those things are for the pretenders. If a resident shows up in my OR wearing designer type loupes, he/she will only get to do things that require looking over the mags. forget about touching the prolene.

....and god forbid they show up wearing those "designer" loupes AND one of those custom OR caps.

i asked this question on here last year and ended up getting the surgical acuity. i tried both the old school buddy holly frames and didn't like how heavy they were, especially since i have to get the bigger frames given my big ass head. i got these:

http://www.surgicalacuity.com/index/surgicalacuity-products-loupes-dimension-3

when comparing these with the DFVs i definitely have a greater depth of field with comparable resolution. and they're real light.

I think the OP is a new intern.

I agree that you should check with your program and see if they pay for loupes. Usually you only need them when you do your Peds Surg, Vascular, CT, Plastics and Head & Neck rotations...so check with your fellow residents and see when most people purchase their loupes. For us, it was at the end of our PGY-1 year.

check out the "surgitel" glasses.
I have used the Designs for vision buddy holly style. They worked well and had such heavy weight they never moved....but were/are heavy.
I have moved up to 3.5x with surgitel. they are pricey. they are lighter and have a double nose bridge suport for stability. I think mine are the "compact prism" model.

http://www.surgitel.com/web/index.asp

I agree with avoiding the Oakley and Nike frames. I am not buying these things to wear around town. It really is about max function. Ultimately, if you have the time, I strongly recommend you contact Surgitel, Designs for vision, and surgical accuity and look at all their products.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are a ton of posts on this subject
BUT....i have to chime in again-

designs for visions- thick buddy holly classic frames are the only way to go.

--nothing says "all business" like those glasses.

no funny "designer" frames, oakley/nike stuff- those things are for the pretenders. If a resident shows up in my OR wearing designer type loupes, he/she will only get to do things that require looking over the mags. forget about touching the prolene.

....and god forbid they show up wearing those "designer" loupes AND one of those custom OR caps.

I bet people said the same thing about the buddy holly style glasses when they first came out decades ago.