Surgical Oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently heard on the news about a surgical oncologist in my area that was considering retiring early because his malpractice insurance increased from $40,000 to $80,000 a year. I don't know of many people who can afford 40,000 taken out of their annual pay. Just out of curiosity how much would a surgical oncologist get paid? By the way, the doc ended up staying because his patients managed to raise 40,000 dollars for him to pay his insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I read that too!

Surg. Oncology tends to get paid more than general surgery in the hierarchy of academics due to their extra training. Their actual salary depends a great deal upon how busy they are & what types of oncology they may focus on. More & more the fellowship training programs are doing more of their own adjuvant tx. (with chemo & radiation) and image-directed biopsies to increase their revenue rather then sending these to Med. oncologists, Rad-Onc, & radiologists