Surgical recall, indeed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you recall, the first few pages of "Surgical Recall" have all sorts of history, which you either a. will NEVER mention or b. will have an attending that knows ALL that stuff.

I blew it off, of course, and then, last week, in ATLS, the trauma surgeon (Duke surgery, ShockTrauma trauma fellowship) springs it on me as we're walking out - the only surgeon to win a Pulitzer Prize...and I can't remember.

Humbly, with my tail between my legs, I was revised of Harvey Cushing's biography of Sir William Osler.

Surgical recall, indeed!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Apollyon
If you recall, the first few pages of "Surgical Recall" have all sorts of history, which you either a. will NEVER mention or b. will have an attending that knows ALL that stuff.

I blew it off, of course, and then, last week, in ATLS, the trauma surgeon (Duke surgery, ShockTrauma trauma fellowship) springs it on me as we're walking out - the only surgeon to win a Pulitzer Prize...and I can't remember.

Humbly, with my tail between my legs, I was revised of Harvey Cushing's biography of Sir William Osler.

Surgical recall, indeed!

I knew a little bit about Cushing just because he was buried about one block away from my apt when I was in med school. I wouldn't take it too hard.

mike

A friend carried his Surgical Recall everywhere during his third year surgery rotation. He scrubbed a simple case with a chief one day and the attending came in a little while after the case started. The attending picked up the book, thumbed through it, and asked my friend how much he had read. When my friend replied, "All of it," the attending decided to quiz him. After 45 minutes of missing history of surgery, Duke classifications, and vent management, the attending told him that he needed to study more. Oops!!