Surgical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which degree should I do?

• phD

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • MD

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • MDPHD

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • U Crazy mofo- do'in m@d szientis7 BS. Uz n33ds to be l0cked up.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

WaxEarplugsFTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in researching surgical techniques. I only want to work on these techniques.

Say, finding better uses for new and existing technologies in animal models. If someone invented a stent that can say break down plaque rather than just bypassing it, I'd like to study that.
Or I want to study xeno-organ transplant. Pig to sheep say.

I assume, if I want to do Pig into Human, I need MD(?)

Or studying xeno grafting limbs of one animal to another and have function. Say if amputee, whether we can give him like a money's arm (NOT saying I would do that, but just an example)

Or if I want to research head transplantation. Mouse to mouse, mouse to rat, etc.
Or say study neuron-machine interface. Connecting/implanting devices in the muscle to read neuron signals better than skin surface to make better prosthetics.

Or build artificial organs. (This part I DO know. It's the field of biomedical engineering). But can a BME phd fit everything else I want to do?

I don't want to be involved in treating people. I don't want to work in a hospital. I don't want to see patients. I don't want to see people. Bottom line is, that is a waste of time. The time spent seeing people and treating them with existing technologies, I could be working on new and better technologies.

That is what I want. Working on new technologies to be combined with surgery or better surgical techniques.

Can a phD get me that if it is only in animal models? PhD in surgery?
Or do I still need to get a MD even if I only want to work on animals.

More importantly, does such a field that I want even exist?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Biomedical engineering sounds like a great place to start. I don’t think there is one career or degree that encompasses every technology you’ve laid out here - that’s enough work to keep hundreds of labs busy for years.

There’s no such thing as a PhD in surgery, and I definitely don’t think an MD is the right route here. Look into PhD programs. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need an MD, but then again your examples are so ridiculous that some clinical insight would be helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to be involved in treating people. I don't want to work in a hospital. I don't want to see patients. I don't want to see people. Bottom line is, that is a waste of time.

Alright then, guess you’re not much of a fan of multi-disciplinary collaboration. Then again, you’re post is so all over the place I’m not sure it’s grounded in facts or realistic possibilities

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think you need the MD for any of the stuff you're talking about. Would it help? Of course. But, would it be worth doing 4 years of med school and 5-7 years of surgical residency? Hell no.

Biomed engineering degree, Phd, post doc, and then maybe you could get funding to pursue one of your list of ideas.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say you should go for the MD-PhD. It will give you the exposure and the clinical foundation to be able to get closer to the translational research you ultimately want to accomplish. It's not that many more years than a PhD by itself. Most importantly, the MD-PhD will open doors and create opportunities for you that either degree couldn't by itself. Good luck.