Surgical specialty- personality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I'm getting in medical school soon as an non traditionalist. I'm 26 with a JD.

So 2 people saw me for the first time and said. . it would suit you to be an oncologist.

I like to see results of my work, rather be tired than lazy.
They say it because I'm not the most talkative person, but friendly overall.

So are there no surgeons that are nice, minding their own business?
I feel like that's bull****..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try anesthesiology! Immediate results ;)

So do you think certain characteristics are mandatory?;)
Im dedicated, detail oriented, hard working, friendly, can communicate.
Why should I be arrogant to be seen as an future surgeon?

Members don't see this ad :)

While there is a stereotypical surgeon personality, you see the arrogant dinguses less and less these days (but they are definitely still around).

However, surgeons in general still need to make decisions quickly and decisively. They need to lead in an emergency. Sometimes this requires a confident personality who isn’t afraid to give directions and expects them to be followed immediately for a patient’s well-being. Arrogant dinguses pull this off well but it can also be done without such attitude.

There are plenty of female (and male) surgeons around here that aren’t arrogant dinguses. Wait until you get to 3rd year of Med school and see where you fit. If you’re results oriented then oncology is probably not a great field... but you have a long way to go before choosing a specialty. Don’t stress this right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
While there is a stereotypical surgeon personality, you see the arrogant dinguses less and less these days (but they are definitely still around).

However, surgeons in general still need to make decisions quickly and decisively. They need to lead in an emergency. Sometimes this requires a confident personality who isn’t afraid to give directions and expects them to be followed immediately for a patient’s well-being. Arrogant dinguses pull this off well but it can also be done without such attitude.

There are plenty of female (and male) surgeons around here that aren’t arrogant dinguses. Wait until you get to 3rd year of Med school and see where you fit. If you’re results oriented then oncology is probably not a great field... but you have a long way to go before choosing a specialty. Don’t stress this right now.

Thanks for the elaborate response!
Take care

You have so much time to figure this out. Don't worry. If surgery is your jam, you will find yourself in it. I don't think I'm an arrogant dingus that cusses people out, mostly because I truly don't believe that's how you get the best results consistently. Have I said some things that may hurt some feelings? Yes. Do I regret saying them? No. Do I mind my own bidnis? Always.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely don’t have to be arrogant, and I think lucidsplash’s post above put it very well. Good luck exploring things, and I bet you will find what fits with you.