Surgitel vs Designs for Vision Loupes and headlight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

We had a visit from reps from these companies today and I thought I would share my thoughts and see if anyone else has further insights regarding these two products. I was looking for a 2.5x loupe and want a headlight (open to fiberoptic or battery powered). Here was what I came away with:

Resolution: Comparing the 2.5x between the two, I felt they were about the same in image quality, with DFV maybe being slightly better. There was definitely a difference in magnification...I felt DFV were stronger in mag, but had a narrower field of view than Surgitel. I also definitely noticed that along the periphery of the DFV loupes the image blurred. This is mentioned on the Surgitel website when they compared their loupes to others (they have a nice slide demonstrating this). The entire image in the Surgitel loupe was completely sharp.

Depth of field: For certain Surgitel had a deeper field. My hands were perfectly in focus over a large distance (12+ inches), whereas DFV was only sharp over about half of that. Even the rep admitted this but said it was due to DFV having higher magnification.

Weight: Surgitel (especially the micro version) seemed way lighter. The telescopes on the Nike frames from DFV seemed very front heavy. The DFV with the Buddy Holly frame was light a weight on my eyes after wearing the others.

Frames: This will be personal preference. I personally liked the look of the DFV Nike loupes the best. They also had spring frame arms which is good for people like me with enormous heads. However I felt the Oakley loupes were more comfortable and balanced. Maybe this was due to the DFV telescopes being heavier. Again the Buddy Holly ones seemed way too heavy, but were certainly the sturdiest. There was a wider selection of frames from Surgitel with a variety of sizes. Also Oakely and Nike are made by children in China, which is unfortunate, but they tie in this regard.

Warranty: The DFV one seems better with the lifetime for some frames. Both the Nike (DFV) and Oakley (Surgitel) come with one year. I forgot to ask about the coverage for the actual telescopes from Surgitel, but DFV doesn't cover anything except condensation getting in. Basically I think with either company if you run your loupes over with you car after 45 days you are on the hook for big $.

Headlight: This was a no brainer, Surgitel's lights were by far the superior product. The headlight from DFV seemed very ditzel, the field of light produced this weird square with a faint halo in the periphery. The surgitel light was a bright and uniform circle. Surgitel's is brighter (7500 fcd vs 5200). The battery is of the same duration (9hrs on full blast). The DFV does come with an additional battery pack which is really nice though, but they cost more to replace ($120 vs $90 for Surgitel). Both estimate battery life between 3-6 yrs depending on use. Initially I wanted to avoid the battery completely and go with the fiberoptic light, as this light is brighter and feels more natural in hue, but got talked out of it when I learned there is no coverage on the fiberoptic light cable itself, which costs $200+ to replace. It is also way heavier than the battery one, and obviously you are tethered, and cannot use it in the ED etc due to the need for a light source.

Price: DFV is cheaper by $100 for the loupes, way cheaper for the light ($595 vs $895). The quoted price I got for the combos from each company was $995+$895 for Surgitel 2.5x micro with Oakely frames and a fiberoptic light ($995 + 795 for the batter light), and $895 + $595 for the 2.5x DFV on Nike frames with the battery light (they don't make a fiberoptic light). This was a resident price and was like $500 less than the "retail."

Rep: DFV was way cuter.

In the end I am going with Surgitel 2.5x micro on the half jacket with the battery connected light. I have 45 days to change my mind if I don't like the product...we'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with Orascoptic - better field depth/width/resolution and frames with the loupes, and the Endeavour light is awesome (powerful but small).

I bought their combo in February and have been very happy. I am now excited about their wireless loupe and light combo (The XV1) - check it out.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually bought both. The DFV Buddy Holly were heavy and ergonomically unpleasant. The field of vision was small. Perhaps the Nike frames would have worked out.

I then bought Surgitel Oakley frames. They are tremendously comfortable, lightweight, and with slightly better field of vision. I'm thrilled with the new product.

Also, all the reps are different, but I had a much better experience with the Surgitel rep who really knew all the critical details of fitting loupes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zeiss > Heine >>>> Orascoptic > DFV/Surgitel

Surgitel's newest light >>>> every other light

Both Orascoptic and Surgitel advertise their loupe magnification higher than they really are. So you always have to buy at least 0.5x higher than what you really want. I hate how DFV's loupe quality is noticeably lower than Orascoptic's. DFV's peripheral image is much more blurred. You get a more hazy image with minute head movements. The working distance is much less forgiving. Their prism lenses are much bulkier and heavier. Their lenses let in less light. The only selling point of DFV is their Buddy Holly/Yeoman frame and maybe their hot sales girls. That's it. If I could take Orascoptic's, Heine's, or Zeiss' lenses and stick em' onto the Buddy Holly frames, I'd buy em'!

I don't understand how DFV would survive as a competitor if people actually bought loupes according to quality optics.

Last edited:
Hi
I bought my Surgitel loupes while I was at UCLA.

Pros:
The loupes were well priced. No problems with the loupes. Sturdy frame. Their rep Dustin Torres was great. However once you graduate the support/service has been as poor as it can get. Dental students and meds are taken care of while at school but after that they don't seem to care enough.

Cons:
Poor magnification
Light has been a problem since I got it. Would not recommend. Problems with the cord.

Zeiss > Heine >>>> Orascoptic > DFV/Surgitel

Surgitel's newest light >>>> every other light

Both Orascoptic and Surgitel advertise their loupe magnification higher than they really are. So you always have to buy at least 0.5x higher than what you really want. I hate how DFV's loupe quality is noticeably lower than Orascoptic's. DFV's peripheral image is much more blurred. You get a more hazy image with minute head movements. The working distance is much less forgiving. Their prism lenses are much bulkier and heavier. Their lenses let in less light. The only selling point of DFV is their Buddy Holly/Yeoman frame and maybe their hot sales girls. That's it. If I could take Orascoptic's, Heine's, or Zeiss' lenses and stick em' onto the Buddy Holly frames, I'd buy em'!

I don't understand how DFV would survive as a competitor if people actually bought loupes according to quality optics.
Used Surgitel light for three years now. The cord has had problems ever since I got it and even the company said they are having issues witht he light. The loupes are pretty good. Save yourself the trouble of having it replaced or paying for the repairs. I would NOT suggest buying the Surgitel light. Lopues are good.

Bought the DFV 2.5x with light 1 year ago. Everything you said was spot on. Good, not great, light, but haven't had quality issues. Frames are great. Loupes have reasonable but not exceptional DoF and they do blur at the periphery. This isn't noticed during surgery, but definitely is visible when I happen to look at my phone with them on. The case for the light drives me bonkers. It sucks (belt clip loosens quickly over time and doesn't hold battery pack upright very well--swivels all over). I wish they made it static. However, frames are light and comfortable, light doesn't add significant weight. Happy with them, but I'm not doing neurovascular stuff.

Bought Designs for Vision Nike Skylon 2.5x with light 1.5 years ago. Good resident discount. Skylon looks really great and is light, and everyone has DFV including all of my mentors, but the Skylon is really plastic-y and will break! Mine broke just after the 1 year warranty. Bummer. Thinking of getting a second pair as backup--maybe DVF Yeoman (yes ugly but its frame is covered under warranty forever). BTW there is no more "free loaner shipping overnight" program, so if your loupes break, you will be left without loupes until the repair is done.

Can't speak for other companies because haven't tried them.