surveys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonso

residency resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you all filling out these post-match surveys regarding interview experience and why you didn't rank x program higher?

I know they say responses are confidential but it's a small world.

I know it's the curteous thing to do, just wondering if others were completing them.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, I was wondering the same thing. Figured I'd send them back but was thinking I should perhaps leave some of the more brutally honest stuff out. Not really sure what the proper etiquette is for this though.

Anyone else?

I was told on a couple interviews that they send out post-mortems/ surverys but I have yet to recieve any.
One program's coordinator emailed me and hinted at asking why I didn't rank them higher because they had ranked me to match. Since she didn't specifically ask, I didnt' give a specific answer.
I was really looking forward to those surveys because some stuff was just so obvious.
What kind of program serves something messy for lunch on paper plates and makes us balance it on our laps??? I would love to constructively critcize that!

I've only recieved 2 of these surveys. One of them was my #5 spot and the other one didn't get ranked at all. In both cases it was strictly location (based on my wife's criteria) that determined their ranking. So I filled out both surveys w/ high marks and told them that, if it weren't for being in the north woods, their program would have been perfect. Not much you can do about location but I think it put me on decent terms with them for the future if needed.

BE

sonso said:
Are you all filling out these post-match surveys regarding interview experience and why you didn't rank x program higher?

I know they say responses are confidential but it's a small world.

I know it's the curteous thing to do, just wondering if others were completing them.

Any thoughts?

I am filling them out to help them out with future recruiting; Michigan even offers money for doing a phone interview. I am pretty honest on the surveys, if I didn't like something I put it down. If I thought there was something unique about the program I mentioned it. I don't know if they do anything to address the comments. Ideally these programs would offer you some feedback on how to make yourself a better candidate for fellowships, but I guess it doesn't work that way. Even though I was a little disappointed with my match results, I didn't trash the programs I ranked higher, but didn't match at.

I got one from a program that thoroughly disappointed me on interview day. I went into the interview expecting to love the place and for a variety of reasons, left feeling like a) why did I waste my time, and b) what is it that so many other people seem to see in this place? I felt that there were a couple of very specific things that could have been much better, and since I didn't match at this program (and ranked it pretty low), I could feel free to be brutally honest. I don't really care if they trace it back to me - it's not like I wrote obscenities on the eval form or said anything rude. My feeling is that they're looking for feedback, and the whole point of surveys is not to have respondents blow smoke up your ass, so why not give some constructive criticism?

OK, I got one of these suckers from the prog I ranked 1st asking where I ranked them, why I didn't rank them higher, and was there anything that discouraged me from going there, etc. The cover letter from the PD says he hopes I matched with my top choice :thumbdown:

My dillema is whether I should a) just be nice play along, b) throw it in the dumpster and forget about them, c) be a smartass and ask them to answer the same questions about me, or d) be a smartass and reply something along the lines of "I ranked them dead last cause they sucked so much, they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose" (don't worry, I'm a smartass, not a ******* -- the offensive language here is for illustration purposes only, I can be creative in more subtle ways)

p.s. I'm happily matched at a more reputable program I ranked 2nd, so if I seemed bitter, it's only because I believe a lame survey calls for a lame response, but I welcome your input...

I'm answering the surveys honestly, but politely. For the programs where location was the only issue, I will put that and not worrying about identifying myself, if that happens. At others, where I feel more critical, I may not put as much identifying information, or skip questions that would identify me. (I don't know why, since I'm being polite and professional, but hey, I can protect my privacy if I want to).

Hellboy, the program obviously sent you the survey in error. If I were you, I'd be tempted to just fill in the comments section, and tell them. Somebody screwed up sending out the survey, and it would be nice if they got slapped on the wrist a little-- talk about rubbing salt in wounds-- even if you're happy where you're going.

Why wouldnt you respond? How can they hold something against you especially if you are nice enough to fill out their survey and give them a good reason (that is unless you lied to them and told them they were your top pick). Most programs are probably honestly trying to boost their recruitment.

I did think about it before responding, but decided I would just be honest and professional when offering criticisms. If programs are serious about wanting to improve or understand why folks chose other programs, they will appreciate the honesty, including the constructive criticism.

Hellboy said:
My dillema is whether I should a) just be nice play along, b) throw it in the dumpster and forget about them, c) be a smartass and ask them to answer the same questions about me, or d) be a smartass and reply something along the lines of "I ranked them dead last cause they sucked so much, they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose" (don't worry, I'm a smartass, not a ******* -- the offensive language here is for illustration purposes only, I can be creative in more subtle ways)

Unless you told them you were going rank them number #1, they probably don't know where you ranked them. You could be passive-aggressive about it and turn in the survey next year and profusely apologize for it being so late.

BStein76 said:
Unless you told them you were going rank them number #1, they probably don't know where you ranked them. You could be passive-aggressive about it and turn in the survey next year and profusely apologize for it being so late.

Sorry for leaving out the missing piece, I did tell them, and based on PD's response I thought they were listening. Nice suggestion btw, not really my style, but interesting nevertheless.