Suturing in TORS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afozengaron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been exposed to TORS in my residency program since robotics are not so widely used in ENT in my country (yet)...
Anyways, from what I’ve read and from the videos I’ve seen online, seems like not so much suturing is done in TORS, especially compared to abdominal procedures performed in urology, gyn, general surgery.
I think in TORS a lot of efects are left to heal by secondary intention.
How often do head and neck surgeons get to use those sweet suturing robotic skills?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t been exposed to TORS in my residency program since robotics are not so widely used in ENT in my country (yet)...
Anyways, from what I’ve read and from the videos I’ve seen online, seems like not so much suturing is done in TORS, especially compared to abdominal procedures performed in urology, gyn, general surgery.
I think in TORS a lot of efects are left to heal by secondary intention.
How often do head and neck surgeons get to use those sweet suturing robotic skills?

Not really. You occasionally see guys at meetings throwing up slides of them insetting flaps with the robot, but that's kind of a gimmick and people don't really do it in practice.

Yeah I know free flaps are rare in TORS but what about primary closure of defects? How often do TORS guys have to do those?

Yeah I know free flaps are rare in TORS but what about primary closure of defects? How often do TORS guys have to do those?

Extremely rarely. There's just no way to close the common TORS defects primarily. Everything left to granulate in.