Swanson's new edition and FP SHELF exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone-

i posted something like this on the clinical rotations link and no one really answered.

just wondering...how good is the new swansons? I have heard that the old one was horrible, with tons of mistakes, etc...does the new one have these corrected?

also...just wondering in terms of good books for the shelf exam (3rd yr one) in FP, what are good books? I did a search and there was nothing really i could find. is blueprints Fam Med good? if i had blueprints FM and Swansons, and have the PDA version of current clinical strategies in FP, will i be good to go?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

mountaindew2006 said:
hey everyone-

i posted something like this on the clinical rotations link and no one really answered.

just wondering...how good is the new swansons? I have heard that the old one was horrible, with tons of mistakes, etc...does the new one have these corrected?

also...just wondering in terms of good books for the shelf exam (3rd yr one) in FP, what are good books? I did a search and there was nothing really i could find. is blueprints Fam Med good? if i had blueprints FM and Swansons, and have the PDA version of current clinical strategies in FP, will i be good to go?

thanks in advance!

I didn't think that Blue Prints was too hot. Swanson's was pretty good, but I only read a few sections. It was too thick and too in-depth for the short amount of time I had to study. In the end- I would review whatever book you used or plan to use for IM (First Aid or High Yeild... I'd avoid any of the BluePrint series... they're just too abstract). I would also read the pediatrics and OB/GYN sections in First Aid for Step 2. If you do those things, you'll be covering the same material that you'll use in several other rotations and it will be a lot easier (familiar territory) when you do those other rotations. From what I recall of the SHELF, questions focused on preventative health (when to screen for what, immunizations, etc.), electrolyte questions, etc. It was a lot like the medicine SHELF (that probably doesn't help much unless you have already done that rotation). Most of the ob/gyn type questions were about OCP's, discharge,... there were very few on pregnancy. I did questions from the Kaplan Q-book in IM, peds, and OB/GYN (just about 100 from each). I also did the blueprints questions (not bad... better than the text!). Maybe that will help- good luck!

I agree with MtnDoc. Preventative medicine was heavily tested. The rest was similar to the IM shelf.

I bought Swanson'd last year (I'm not sure if it's the old or new version but I haven't noticed any mistakes in it).

In my opinion, the questions are too easy and like half the answer are "all of the above" (seriously).

There are some nice charts for stuff like immunizations. I think it's more of a book that I'll pick up during residency and look at once in a while.