swedish medstudent: inquiry about US surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me ask a general question about PhD degrees in the US:

If one, during general surgery residency, wishes to pursue a PhD, how many years does this take in general?

I've read some conflicting answers about this when searching the web. Some will write 5 yrs and others 3 yrs. Also, it's my impression that US medical students enrolled in an MD PhD programme will require an additional 3yrs beyond the actual medical curriculum. So shouldn't it be 3 yrs during residency as well?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me ask a general question about PhD degrees in the US:

If one, during general surgery residency, wishes to pursue a PhD, how many years does this take in general?

I've read some conflicting answers about this when searching the web. Some will write 5 yrs and others 3 yrs. Also, it's my impression that US medical students enrolled in an MD PhD programme will require an additional 3yrs beyond the actual medical curriculum. So shouldn't it be 3 yrs during residency as well?

Thanks for your input.

As you know, completing a PhD depends on how long it takes to complete your project. For some, it can be as little as 3, for some as long as 6 or more years. I've seen med students take 10 years to finish their MD/PhD, some without taking extra time (one example of a guy who came in with a masters degree and a bunch of graduate credits and completed his research over the first two years of med school). The same will be true in residency or even for an average PhD candidate who is not in the medical field.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that the time to completion was so variable (I presumed there was a set time that most don't deviate from, e.g in UK it's 3yrs, Sweden 4yrs of full-time studies).

In certain countries, the PhD will require a certain set of manuscripts (e.g. 4 in Sweden) as part of your thesis work. Does such a requirement exist in the US medical field?

Please also let me know if there is a thread already covering this topic (I haven't found one yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that the time to completion was so variable (I presumed there was a set time that most don't deviate from, e.g in UK it's 3yrs, Sweden 4yrs of full-time studies).

In certain countries, the PhD will require a certain set of manuscripts (e.g. 4 in Sweden) as part of your thesis work. Does such a requirement exist in the US medical field?

Please also let me know if there is a thread already covering this topic (I haven't found one yet).

There is an entire forum for MD/PhD type stuff.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Hi medsweden,
Did you get into a general surgery residency in the US? I am also interested in doing general surgery but 80+hours per week and bad salary for more than 5 years is really not encouraging. What do you think? How did you get your trauma research position and where are you doing your research? Do you think it is easier for europeans to get into a surgical residency program than other doctors from asia?
Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi there,

I'll be applying for residency this year, so I guess I can only tell the outcome in March of next year!..But clearly, what I've realized (which has been echoed by Americans in this thread) is that securing a categorical spot in GS is a monumental task. Apparently, many foreign graduates settle for a prelim spot for 1 (sometimes 2) years before receiving a categorical position..frustrating, but that is reality. As for Europeans having it easier than others, it's very hard for me to say because Western European are indeed few, so I haven't been able to talk to them about their application experience. Most foreign applicants seem to come from India, Pakistan, Lebanon and Greece (probably exists some statistics of this)..

In my reasearch, I have a lot of contact with residents and attendings, and I can only say that I've been thoroughly impressed by their work, effort, and educational experience. Despite a bad salary, I would definitely say it's worth it! Especially if can't imagine anything else but surgery, like me ;)..

As for how I got the research position, it's just a matter of writing to division chiefs and asking them if they are looking for research fellows. I can tell you that almost all major academic hospitals will have such position (not always announced, so you need to ask!), so don't be afraid to check with big-shot universities because they have so much research that they need the manpower (keep in mind, however, that most positions are unpaid or minimum! wage).

I hope that answers some of your questions, let me know if you have more.
Thanks!

Hi medsweden,
Did you get into a general surgery residency in the US? I am also interested in doing general surgery but 80+hours per week and bad salary for more than 5 years is really not encouraging. What do you think? How did you get your trauma research position and where are you doing your research? Do you think it is easier for europeans to get into a surgical residency program than other doctors from asia?
Hope to hear from you soon.