Sweeten the deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Picklesali

M2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you experience schools trying to throw in extras incentives to get you to go there? I know one really stellar applicant who experienced this at school X, and I was wondering if it was common, or if this person really is a special case.

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered if this goes on as well - but knew that I wouldn't experience it myself, because I'm not that amazing.

(well, I am, but doing undergrad in 3 years really hampers your CV. I don't want anyone on here questioning my amazosity)

(I love inventing words)

(and parentheses)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've wondered if this goes on as well - but knew that I wouldn't experience it myself, because I'm not that amazing.

(well, I am, but doing undergrad in 3 years really hampers your CV. I don't want anyone on here questioning my amazosity)

(I love inventing words)

(and parentheses)

you invented parentheses?

What kind of "incentives" are we talking about here?

Did any of you experience schools trying to throw in extras incentives to get you to go there?
Yes.
I know one really stellar applicant who experienced this at school X, and I was wondering if it was common, or if this person really is a special case.
Both--it's common for a handful of special cases. ;)

This is not just an MD/PhD program phenomenon; MD programs do it as well. Every year, there is a small group of applicants who are "superstars" and get heavily recruited by multiple schools that have mega bucks to dole out. Looks like your buddy was one of them. Kudos to him/her; that's an enviable position to find oneself in.

I got offered money...to NOT go to school X

o_O

But yea, I've certainly met a lot of amazing applicants on the interview trail, whom I wouldn't be surprised to have schools fighting over them!

I know of one place that offered someone another 25k on top of their stipend if they did their PhD in a physics/math/engineering program. This was offered after the person said they were trying to decide between their school and another, "better" program. (the extra $ was only for during the PhD years).

Also I think there are some other smaller incentives some schools will throw at you, like I *think* one of my classmates got all her moving expenses paid for. Not sure though.

Ok maybe it's just me being not special or something...but does anyone else have a problem with this? Just seems a little fishy to me.

Ok maybe it's just me being not special or something...but does anyone else have a problem with this? Just seems a little fishy to me.

I knew that this occurred in MD-only admissions -- I wasn't aware that it occurred in MSTP since we're already getting paid. I guess if a school really wants a certain student(s) to make them look better, they should be allowed to offer up whatever they want. I'm not going to deny that it makes me jealous though! :)