Switch careers into medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone I'm mostly new to this. I need some help with planning on making my admission better. So my story is I went into college immediately after high school and took all my pre reqs at a community College then transferred to a university where I did well the first semester, but had financial troubles that required me to drop out one year later and my grades suffered from it. 2 years later I came back and finished my degree but I could only do one semester at a time. I worked on average 65 hours a week and ended up becoming a video engineer on accident. I finished my degree in neuroscience about 2 years ago, and I finally am going to try for medical school. My GPA is around 3.3, and I am taking the mcat again in a few months, I scored a 29 last time if that tells you how long ago it was. I have about 3 years of lab experience in a neuro genetics and cog Sci lab, but after I started working so much, I had to stop volunteering. I had about 1500 hours of service those first few years, but I'm not sure how to volunteer again. I have a wife and work full time as a medical assistant in a pain and addiction medical center, so I'm trying to volunteer but it's gonna rough hitting 1500 hours again. I guess I'm a little lost and need some help getting a plan together moving forward. Any help is much appreciated, thank you all.
 
No need to repeat 1500 hrs of volunteering, just do something patient related. Clinics, hospice, nursing homes, hospitals.

Shadow some doctors

GPA is very weak for MD, but fine for DO. If you're boning for the former, suggest a DIY-post-bac or a SMP.

do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready and scoring well on practice exams'
 
Thank you, I haven't shadowed before but I'm learning an obscene amount from the doctor I'm MAing for now. I'm not sure what the difference is between MD and DO anymore I've heard people say DO are quacks but I've also heard that they're basically the same from other doctors. Not really sure how to go about figuring out the difference.
 
For what it's worth, I've never heard anyone say DOs are quacks or anything like that. I was a medical SLP for several years and at the hospital where I worked many of the hospitalists are DOs. Seems like DOs tend toward primary care much more than MDs; I think there's even a study on that. Also, the training is essentially the same and you can apply to any residency an MD graduate could. As far as most people are concerned, there is no real difference (although I'm sure some DO purists would disagree).