Switch residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatemymatch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am excited that I matched, and although I matched at a program high on my list, my fiancee was transferred very far from me after my rank list was submitted. I was excited about joining this program, but now I will have to switch programs. Does anyone have any information about switching medical residencies after matching? are there any websites, or should I start emailing programs immediately? Or should I wait until midway through my intern year before i start looking?
It is so bittersweet that I would match at a great program only to know that I will have to move out. any help will be greatly appreciated since this is causing a lot of stress for us. thanks a bunch :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

hatemymatch said:
i am excited that I matched, and although I matched at a program high on my list, my fiancee was transferred very far from me after my rank list was submitted. I was excited about joining this program, but now I will have to switch programs. Does anyone have any information about switching medical residencies after matching? are there any websites, or should I start emailing programs immediately? Or should I wait until midway through my intern year before i start looking?
It is so bittersweet that I would match at a great program only to know that I will have to move out. any help will be greatly appreciated since this is causing a lot of stress for us. thanks a bunch :luck:

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering which part of the country you matched...west, midwest or east...is there possibility for a swap?

No Matter what she does or her reasons for moving, I think you need to reassess the situation. Landing another spot will be more difficult than landing the first one, so seriously consider the option of her finding another job or getting transferred near you Residency. Even in the Military things can be worked out for transfers in situations like this, just keep going up the chain of command or corporate ladder until you get the answer you want.

Also, consider the possibility that she wants to get away from you and after you somehow manage a switch, she moves again. Then What Do You Do?