Switching disability insurance agents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venacontracta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an individual disability insurance policy from The Standard. Does anyone know if it possible to switch the servicing agent? Is the commission structured in a way that a new agent would be interested in taking over the policy? Any experiences or downsides to doing this?

I bought this policy because of a guaranteed issue program at my previous institution and went through the agent that worked with that institution. Dealing with him is far more complicated than it needs to be, and the policy has a FPO I plan on exercising after residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can switch, it is called an agent of record form, (AOR), the agent you switch to needs to be licensed in your state and appointed with Standard to be able to accomplish this. Depending on the carrier the original fees might go to the existing original agent but any new business could be done by the new agent. Your policy information would also only be accessible to the new agent once you do an AOR. Hope that helps.