Switching from Med to Optometry

Started by Akki6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Akki6

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello guys! I am a junior and I was considering Optometry as a profession. I am an Economics major with Pre-Medicine concentration. During my freshman, I really wanted to do Optometry, but after hearing horror stories about students graduating with a OD degree and not finding jobs made me switch to Medicine. However, I am still considering Optometry and wanted to know more about the profession from students that just graduated recently. How hard is it to find steady jobs with a good salary after graduating with a OD degree? I know this question has been asked a million times on SDN. Also, I wanted to know about my chances even though I still have few Pre-Reqs to take. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Gen Chem 1 and 2: (B, B)
Biology 1 and 2: (B+, currently taking 2)
Organic Chemistry 1 and 2: (B-, C+)
Calculus: (AP credit out of high school)
Statistics: (B+)
Economics: (A-)
Psychology, Sociology: (A, A)
Physics: (Still have to take)
 
I was thinking about SCO (Southern college of Optometry) because it is instate for me. Is that a good school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking about SCO (Southern college of Optometry) because it is instate for me. Is that a good school?

It's a great school, but be aware that just because you live in-state doesn't mean you will get a tuition discount at SCO.
 
I also forgot to mention my overall GPA. It is 3.45. Which schools are easier to get into?
 
Can someone tell me where I would stand for some of the schools? I also have organic lab to take. My gpa is 3.45.