Switching from pre med to pre opt, what are my chances ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullofcrazyideas

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently decided to switch career paths from pre-med to pre-optometry. I am currently a senior majoring in biology. As of now, it is my current plan to take a gap year (i want to go abroad to spain to spend the year teaching english) and i want to make sure that i am in a good position before going abroad. So right now, i believe my cGPA is 3.45 and my sGPA is around 2.9. I have a couple more science classes next semester so hopefully ill reach a 3.0 science gpa before i graduate. I was wondering what are my chances for schools. I plan on taking my OAT around april around my spring break so i am currently planning my study schedule between january to april. My goal is a 340+ on the OAT. I have alot of research and volunteer experience and i am aiming to get some shadowing hours before i graduate. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
I recently decided to switch career paths from pre-med to pre-optometry. I am currently a senior majoring in biology. As of now, it is my current plan to take a gap year (i want to go abroad to spain to spend the year teaching english) and i want to make sure that i am in a good position before going abroad. So right now, i believe my cGPA is 3.45 and my sGPA is around 2.9. I have a couple more science classes next semester so hopefully ill reach a 3.0 science gpa before i graduate. I was wondering what are my chances for schools. I plan on taking my OAT around april around my spring break so i am currently planning my study schedule between january to april. My goal is a 340+ on the OAT. I have alot of research and volunteer experience and i am aiming to get some shadowing hours before i graduate. Thoughts?
Sounds like you will be a good applicant given your gpa and goals and time set aside to studying for the OAT. One advice I would give you is to reach out to your references NOW while you are still in school. Let your references know you will need their LOR next year and will remind as the deadline approaches. Best of luck and if you have other questions..... tag me