Quantcast

Switching from social/behavioral to biological science research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrightandClear

Reaction score
How much is this going to hurt my chances of acceptance to a MD/PhD program? I have experience in both a basic bio sci lab and a social/behavioral lab. While the latter is more recent and significant, I'd like to get back into the former for my PhD.

Thoughts? Thanks!

PfNO22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much is this going to hurt my chances of acceptance to a MD/PhD program? I have experience in both a basic bio sci lab and a social/behavioral lab. While the latter is more recent and significant, I'd like to get back into the former for my PhD.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't understand this. Can you please be clearer and provide some context?

justgo

Reaction score
I think we need more info.

I have done both basic science and anthropology research throughout my career, have degrees in both and do some integration of the two. I've never stopped doing bench research (not epidemiology or only field based studies....basic science stuff mostly) since I started and I think that is they key. I also don't talk about my anthro/philosophy leanings much until after someone knows how committed I am to bench/basic science research in the hopes that they will not think me flighty and will see that science comes first (if I must rank them).

You probably want to be sure you have a year of basic science research in before you apply to programs especially if your previous research is not truly extensive and in depth (ie publications, multiple years or with letters of rec that say you are unequivocally the best).

You might get more responses though if you outline what research you did in basic science previously and how long ago it was. That way others can direct you towards concrete steps.

BrightandClear

Reaction score
I don't understand this. Can you please be clearer and provide some context?

Over the last year and half I've been conducting prevention-based health research. However, I want to go back into basic science for my PhD, specifically in cellular/molecular bio. I'd like to have a research program some day that focuses on understanding the genetic determinates of a disease and combines exploratory work in animal models with translation to population-based studies.

So, essentially, I haven't worked in a bench laboratory since 2009. I knew and used all the standard molecular bio lab techniques at the time, but it's been a while. My personal concerns are that I'll come across as being unequipped to take on basic science PhD work, and that it will look like I'm jumping around in what I want to do. I'm wondering if these are reasonable concerns, and how much of an impact the will have during the admissions process.

Does that help?

Last edited:

PfNO22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
However, I want to go back into basic science for my PhD, specifically in cellular/molecular bio. I'd like to have a research program some day that focuses on understanding the genetic determinates of a disease and combines exploratory work in animal models with translation to population-based studies.

So, essentially, I haven't worked in a bench laboratory since 2009. I knew and used all the standard molecular bio lab techniques at the time, but it's been a while. My personal concerns are that I'll come across as being unequipped to take on basic science PhD work, and that it will look like I'm jumping around in what I want to do. I'm wondering if these are reasonable concerns, and how much of an impact the will have during the admissions process.

Does that help?

It sounds like you're in just fine shape. You've got a nice story.