Switching IM into Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoSox12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had always considered Ortho very highly, but unfortunately when 4th year rolled around I ended up deciding to go into IM. I am now an intern at a very competitive IM program in the Midwest, but find myself being miserable regretting my decision not to go into Ortho. I was wondering what are my changes of switching into a program, given that I did not do any away rotations my 4th year, although I did honor my 3rd year Ortho rotation as well as my overall surgery rotation. My Step1 was a 260 and Step 2 255. I did 2 years of research before medical school with multiple publications (one co-first author) in pediatric cardiology. Do I have a chance or has that ship sailed and I have to just move on? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You have a very low probability of matching ortho at this point. It's possible, but it would require a lot of effort, working to obtain letters, rotating at other institutions, etc, and it will still be a long shot.

Depending on the characteristics of your home program, that may be your best shot. Meet the faculty, Discuss your situation. If they don't completely shoot you down, start going to any and all ortho related events you can. Grand rounds, surgeries, call, etc.

Personally, I would move on. It's such a long shot I would probably take my losses and find happiness in something like cardiology or gi. Best of luck with your decision.

Why would it be such a long shot? The guy has great numbers and decided during his internship that he wanted to do ortho instead of medicine. Lets be honest here... he's just as competitive as most of the people who read this site. I'd scrounge up some letters and let it go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it be such a long shot? The guy has great numbers and decided during his internship that he wanted to do ortho instead of medicine. Lets be honest here... he's just as competitive as most of the people who read this site. I'd scrounge up some letters and let it go!

The problem is that he has 3 years of medicare funding to pay for residency. At best he would have 1 year of funding left at the earliest he could start ortho residency. That would mean any program would have to come up with at least 4 years of funding for him out of their own coffers. Not saying it can't be done, but it is a long shot. If he does not think he could be happy in IM or one of its subspecialties, I would say go for it.

I agree with shiz knot. Medicare funding would be his absolute impediment. Now if you are outside funding like from the army, it may entice places, but I wouldn't join just for that.