Switching IM to Diagnostic radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMLEtarget

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently PGY-2 IM resident. I want to switch to radiology. Asking for some advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You're finishing up PGY2 year and are just now looking into rads? I mean, if that's what you want to do, that's totally cool. But from a practical perspective, you've got another year and a half before you can start a rads program anyway (please, just forget SOAP this year, please).

So, you should finish your IM residency, since you need to do something next year, and it might as well be finishing training that can be your backup plan if Rads doesn't work out for you. You should try to do a Rads elective or 2 next year (like in July and August) and get LORs from them. You should get your current PD in the loop so that s/he can write you the supportive LOR you're going to need from them for the next Match cycle.

Then you should apply to both A and R programs in the match. A programs are the typical Advanced radiology programs that start a year after the Match, and after you've finished a prelim year. R programs start the next year and are intended for people switching specialties who have already done a year (or more) of clinical training.

If you match into a R program, you're off to the races after you finish your PGY3 year. If you match into an A program, you'll have to find something to do with your life for a year, like hospitalist or locums PCP, which will be a nice way to make some cash.

Reactions: 1 user