switching IM to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

producenj

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched at a middle of the road university program for internal medicine in the NYC area. After doing a late fourth year rotation in EM and volunteering at an Urgent Care center for indigent patients I want to make the switch to EM. I am planning on starting and finishing my PGY-1 year in IM. I will admit that I did not pass Step 1 till my third try with a 218, but passed Step 2 on my first attempt with a 206. I did not have the greatest deans letter in the world either, but I am an American grad. First off, how can I go upon reapplying? Can I transfer into a PGY-2 spot for EM? Should I call 2-3-4 programs in EM and ask if they have open positions? Or should I just thank my lucky stars I have a residency and just let the whole thing be? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest calling up 234 programs to see if they have any openings. Go to www.saem.org There's a link somewhere for residency vacancies. If you find one you can give that a shot.

You're not limited to 234's either. You can also check around with 123 programs. I'm sure they'll be glad to get someone with a year's worth of IM experience.

I don't know if new programs would be easier, but I would also make sure I'd give those programs a call.

NY Pres (cornell/columbia) is new. Maimonides is also relatively new. NY Hospital Queens is starting a new program next year. I don't know if it's 123 or 234 or 1234 tho. You should call to check.

Hope this helps. Don't give up! :)

You will not be able to transfer as a PGY-2 except at 2-3-4 programs. You may apply for up to 6 months credit towards an EM program, however.

Your other option is to beg your new PD to let you go, and try to find an EM spot before July. I have a friend who did the exact same thing last year, successfully.

Your best bet is checking saem.org for open positions, which come up frequently during the year. Also you can try going into the match next year.

My suggestion is if you want EM don't be picky. If someone offers you a spot, take it. You can almost certainly get a spot in EM but only if you're persistant and willing to take offers from anywhere in the country at any type of program.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops, sorry my first post wasnt clear. When I said you weren't limited to 234 & that you can try 123, I mean the programs would be happy to accept a student with a year's worth of IM experience as a EM 1 resident, basically to start all over fresh.

Hope this helps.

You can't get any credit for your PGY-1 year to count towards a 123 program. You must complete two years of training in an eligible specialty before you can apply for credit. The maximum you can receive is six months.

The page on the SAEM site with vacancies is http://www.saem.org/services/resvacan.htm
I know that there are some programs that have not filled a few times over the past years. You might check with them in particular because of your situation, but keep all your options open. Hopefully you can ask the EM people in your area about your options in regards to programs nearest you.
Good luck! EM is a great field and definitely worth it.

-ak

ribsandbbqbeef said:
I'd suggest calling up 234 programs to see if they have any openings. Go to www.saem.org There's a link somewhere for residency vacancies. If you find one you can give that a shot.

You're not limited to 234's either. You can also check around with 123 programs. I'm sure they'll be glad to get someone with a year's worth of IM experience.

I don't know if new programs would be easier, but I would also make sure I'd give those programs a call.

NY Pres (cornell/columbia) is new. Maimonides is also relatively new. NY Hospital Queens is starting a new program next year. I don't know if it's 123 or 234 or 1234 tho. You should call to check.

Hope this helps. Don't give up! :)

Being somewhat of a newbie to understanding the whole residency thing, I thought you were literally suggesting that the OP apply to 234, 123 and/or 1,234 programs; as in the number of programs that the OP should call! :laugh:

Until I realized it was years... :idea: