switching intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheldor1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pgy-2 dermatology categorical spot lined up at the place of my choice. However, I had to SOAP for pgy-1 in a ty year. Does SOAP matching have the same rules as the regular match in which you have to stay at that place for a year? I signed up on resident swap and there are some positions open for TY year. I would really like to switch my program since I hate the place I SOAPed at due to no friends/family within 12 hrs. of the pgy-1 year program.

How would this process work? I really have issues with being alone and pretty much not knowing anyone outside the hospital. Do I have to sign anything and if I switched would the rotations I completed count so that I could start my categorical program in time (7/2014).

Members don't see this ad.

It is as binding as a normal match and you are committed to at least 45 days before leaving the program.

That said, I would seriously reconsider your plan. Unless you are separated from a spouse and/or children, you really should stay at your current program.

You matched dermatology, not an easy feat. You could easily jeopardize your PGY2 spot if you do not complete a satisfactory prelim year in time or if you offend your current PD by leaving (they could easily sabotage you).

My advice would be to try to make friends with people in your hospital, go back home every long weekend, and schedule away rotations (you're a TY after all).

Intern year is rarely a time to socialize much outside of work anyway, so best to just try to stick it out and get through it.

I have a pgy-2 dermatology categorical spot lined up at the place of my choice. However, I had to SOAP for pgy-1 in a ty year. Does SOAP matching have the same rules as the regular match in which you have to stay at that place for a year? I signed up on resident swap and there are some positions open for TY year. I would really like to switch my program since I hate the place I SOAPed at due to no friends/family within 12 hrs. of the pgy-1 year program.

How would this process work? I really have issues with being alone and pretty much not knowing anyone outside the hospital. Do I have to sign anything and if I switched would the rotations I completed count so that I could start my categorical program in time (7/2014).

This sounds like a poor idea. Stay where you are. It's only one year and then you'll be in Derm. Your friends and family are a phone call away. There will be people like you in your program that don't know anyone else. Make friends and socialize with them. After this year, you don't have to worry about this place anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like a poor idea. Stay where you are. It's only one year and then you'll be in Derm. Your friends and family are a phone call away. There will be people like you in your program that don't know anyone else. Make friends and socialize with them. After this year, you don't have to worry about this place anymore.

I think you guys are correct. Just realized that I had ranked this program a bit low. So, not a good idea probably, right?

I think you guys are correct. Just realized that I had ranked this program a bit low. So, not a good idea probably, right?

You risk your derm spot if you try to switch out of this intern year and then have problems with it. Your main concern is distance to family/friends. For one year, you can suck it up and get things done and then move on to the future...