Switching into anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girldoc82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Completed PGY-2 in general surgery, now looking to transfer into anesthesiology, preferably in northeast, but flexible with location. Great letters of recommendation from surgical attendings and PD.

Does anyone know of any openings starting July for CA-1 positions? I'm assuming I wouldn't have to repeat an intern year, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-

Completed PGY-2 in general surgery, now looking to transfer into anesthesiology, preferably in northeast, but flexible with location. Great letters of recommendation from surgical attendings and PD.

Does anyone know of any openings starting July for CA-1 positions? I'm assuming I wouldn't have to repeat an intern year, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Oh God........why?!?

Haha - I know, it seems crazy after doing 2 years of general surgery. But, I realized I love critical care, pain management, plus doing the procedures that go along with those areas. Don't get me wrong, surgery is an amazing field, and I love being in the OR and operating, but anesthesia is more of a blend of medicine and OR medicine, plus procedures, so you get the best of all worlds, which is awesome.

Any suggestions???

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact programs where you might want to go. I have little/no experience with this, but it seems that programs have the flexibility to add residents one year, and then take one less the next. Programs are usually large and can accommodate you if they know you are interested. Any chance to stay at your current program? You could contact them easily and it would take the pain out of moving, etc.

Congrats on your decision to switch into anesthesia!

I, too, made the switch this year from a surgical field into anesthesia and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Anesthesiology is an awesome field. It's hard not to be happy in it, especially if your frame of reference is a surgical residency! Don't pay too much attention to the negative comments on this forum. You know how painful it is to be a surgeon (the endless ER consults, paperwork, rounding, etc.) and so you will genuinely appreciate the 'perks' of anesthesia. Plus if you're interested in pain and critical care, anesthesia is the way to go. No question about it. I can't think of a better foundation for either field than anesthesia.

I would contact the anesthesia department at your institution first and see if there are any CA-1 spots available there. Since you already know how the hospital works there (the computer system, where stuff is, etc.) AND you've been in the ORs there for roughly 1 year (I assume you got some operative time as a junior), the transition to anesthesia would be seamless for you. On the other hand, if you would like to transfer to an anesthesia program at another institution, again the anesthesia faculty at your institution would be an invaluable resource.

I know that the University of Michigan always has a few CA-1 slots every year for people who decide to switch into anesthesia (usually from surgery). It's a great program. Contact Dr. Sanford if you're interested.

Good luck with your switch!

Off the top of my head, University of Texas at Houston, University of Texas at Galveston, the newly re-openned Texas Tech in El Paso. Obviously I am from Texas. It might be a little late for some of these, but try your luck. Plenty of programs leave extra spots for CA-1's who are switching from another residency most commonly, surgery. Go to Freida and start sending out emails to programs in areas where you'd like to be. Good luck.

penn is looking for a CA-1 who can start right now.

Still trying to find some open spots for anesthesia. Any other suggestions? I currently live in NYC, but I'm flexible with location.

Thanks for all the help!