Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Switching into business PhD?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Belvarze, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Belvarze

Medical Student
    Hi all,
    I realize most of the discussions here are about physician scientists, and PhDs in the basic sciences, but this is probably the closest forum there is. I was wondering if any of you had considered business academia. I'm at the end of first year for an MD program---was never too sure about the MD, had ended up applying to some business schools for their PhD programs and now must make a decision before April 16th! I've spoken with people in both fields, but haven't come across someone who has made or has considered this transition. Thanks in advance!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fay

Fay

Non-Student
    What do you wish to do in the future? I know people do MBA+MD. Is that close to what you're trying to do?

4. Belvarze

Medical Student
    Not sure...it would be for the academic route (PhD), not management/consulting (MBA). Were you thinking about that at one point? Thanks!

5. hawkeey

hawkeey Member

Medical Student
    Sounds like you must have already made the decision.

For future readers in a similar situation, there are programs that you let you do MD/PhDs in non-scientific fields. This is the right forum to ask those questions.

To the original poster, it sounds like you really do not like medical school. I applaud you ability to recognize and get out before you spent too much time going down the wrong path.

If I saw this post earlier, my advice would be to talk to the dean of students at your medical school about why you don't want to do the MD. At the end though, I think the conclusion is that you should go the business PhD program.