switching into EM from OB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trotsky6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the current EM residents know of people who switched into EM from an OB/GYN program and/or how the switch is done (i.e. through ERAS)? Thx!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trotsky6 said:
Do any of the current EM residents know of people who switched into EM from an OB/GYN program and/or how the switch is done (i.e. through ERAS)? Thx!!

That's quite a change in specialty, what prompted the change?

As far as I know I have never seen anyone switch to EM. I know a few ortho guys, a pathologist, and a surgeon who switched. OB is nearly unheard of.

A guy I went to med school with did it. He did Ob when he didn't get ortho, and I did prelim. We both interviewed at the same program on the same day - we were the only 2 FMG's interviewed at this program this year, and he had done his Ob at the same hospital, and this was the only program he applied to - and he aced me out of the spot.

You mean transitioning in, right, not starting over at PGY-1 in EM after beginning OB?

I would be applying into EM for next year (finishing my current year as PGY1)...so I would lose a year. I haven't heard of anyone leaving after the year has started and then finding anything open to move into, so my plan was to finish off this first year (and not break the contract), and then next year start as PGY-1 in EM. Any help appreciated - thanks!

Febrifuge said:
You mean transitioning in, right, not starting over at PGY-1 in EM after beginning OB?

I do know of a person who started in OB, things didn't work out, and then they were able to secure a spot as a PGY-1 in EM the following year. I don't have the full story, but I seem to recall the program this person was leaving was very cool about it, and supportive of the effort (person was allowed out of the contract).

Not a lot to work with I know, but in short, it's not unheard-of, and losing a year can be worth it in the right situation. Last I heard, this person was way happier in EM than they had been in OB. Good luck to you!

I also know of someone who started in OB then went into EM residency and did very well, his name Joe Wood, MD, my ex ED Chair when i was a fellow and the past president of AAEM!

Paul

A girl in my program started OB. She did some military time after her first year OB and then started with us PGY-1. Slightly different scenario (with the time off for duty), but she's great, and I don't think she had a problem securing a spot.

One of our recent graduates did a year of OB before seeing the light.

There is a guy in my old EM residency (I switched to FP this year) who was an OB resident and then switched to EM. He was able to change specialties in the same hospital, so I don't think the transition was that hard. He did not have to go through the ERAS. I think his fellow OB residents gave him a hard time, but other than that, the transition wasn't bad except for losing a year.

One of our recent graduates had decided EM after a late 4th yr rotation in EM and continued with his plans to go OB. After a few months he decided to go for EM. Applied through ERAS went on as many interviews as he could swing and landed a spot in our ED as a PGY1. I think it's difficult if you don't have your PD's support but certainly not impossible. You've got going for you the fact that you won't lose a year of Medicare funding since you originally matched into a 4yr training program so now if you go to a EM1-3 program you won't cost them the money medicare pays the hospital for your last year. This can be an issue for people switching from 3 yr residencies occasionally. Best of luck!

I know you're planning on sticking out your contract, but have you looked at the vacancies on saem.org? There are a few PGY-1 spots open now, and its early enough in the year that you wouldn't have missed much. Just a thought ;)

I did look at that - am seeing my PD soon to discuss my options - I really appreciate all the posts on this, it does give me hope that I am not sunk for four years... :)

Scrubbs said:
I know you're planning on sticking out your contract, but have you looked at the vacancies on saem.org? There are a few PGY-1 spots open now, and its early enough in the year that you wouldn't have missed much. Just a thought ;)

I know that one of the program directors in the state of Michigan started off as Ob in the military and then went into EM. So it is possible. HOwever, I will say that during my training we actually had a resident that left EM after the first year to go into Ob. WHAT WAS HE THINKING?