Switching into plastics from general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkdoc9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how could i switch into plastics from general surgery. I understand that it is not allowed to switch after 3 years of general surgery anymore. If I am a pgy2, is it possible to repeat a year and take a pgy2 integrated plastics spot if one is available? Is anyone aware of any other way to do this? any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few (~3) folks that have done it. It's going to be a lot harder with programs moving to the integrated route. Usually, general surgery residents swap in for a PGY4 slot in combined programs to cover slots left open from residents who pursue research years. You say this isn't allowed anymore, so that loophole may have been closed... although there are ALWAYS exceptions.

I've never heard of somebody coming into a PGY2 slot, I can't imagine a common situation where one would become available.

It's something that can be done but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

There are still many great independent programs out there. If you're going into general surgery, I'd aim for one of those.