Switching into pre opt from nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsohal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need a little advice.. I've been doing pre-nursing for the last three years and I'm a junior now. I am looking into switching to Pre-Opt because of interest, pay and the lifestyle. I have taken many science classes but I would still need to take Orgo and Physics which I was considering taking this coming semester and having finished by August 2011. Right after this I was planning on taking the OAT with studying about a month or two for it. The classes I would still need to take are Orgo, physics, stats, biochem. Any input or advice? Also when should I take the OAT? About how long would I need to study for it to do well? Also what is the normal time people send out applications to be considered as early applicants?
Thanks! Any other advice or information would be very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

a good time frame for studying for the OAT is about 2 months. summer is the best time to study and take the OAT and then turn in all your application stuff. early for applying would be between when optomCAS opens (july) to early september. and job shadowing can be done as long as you find an optometrist that will let you shadow a few times. you still have a lot of time.

well I hope this helps and good luck with everything!

If you are sure you do not want to try for acceptance to start opt school September 2011 then you should take the OAT this coming summer. Study for 2-3 month and take it Aug 2011. Apply through OptomCAS in July 2011. Submit supplementals July/August 2011. Finish any remaining pre-reqs during school year 2011-2012. With decent GPA/OAT scores ou will be accepted into entering class 2012.

Good luck.