1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

switching my residency

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by ahhhcrap, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ahhhcrap

ahhhcrap New Member

Ok so, I'm thinking about switching my residency. (Yes, I've looked this topic up already). I'm currently a general surgery intern and am considering either...switching to a different general surgery program or...switching into radiology. Here's my question? Do I have to re-enter the Match? Or can I just look for an open spot? And if so, how do I find an open spot? I will try to switch right after first year so I can avoid the funding issue but I just don't know how to go about it. Plus, if I have to re-enter the match for radiology then would they expect LOR's from radiology staff when I need to turn these in in only a few months?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Pensive

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you decide you want to switch to radiology, your best bet is at your own home program - they know you and if they have an open spot and you aren't a sociopath, they'll probably take you.

But let's say they don't have an open spot - then yes, you would be well advised to go through the match, get new letters from radiology people and have the support of your surgery PD (assuming you are a Categorical intern).

4. sepsis

sepsis Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    when would anyone tell their PD about this?

Also, I applied with ZERO radiology recs. I don't think that they are very important.

5. GammaRay

GammaRay Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Your best bet is to apply to the DIRECT pathway for interventional radiology (in addition to applying for general radiology residencies). You can get more info on DIRECT in previous threads on the radiology board or go to http://www.theabr.org/VIR_DIRECT.htm

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no absolutely correct time but in most cases, heck all cases, switching programs or specialties will require a letter from your current PD, so letting them know asap is wise. They should know before the match so they can make some attempt to put another person in your slot when you leave.

Anecdotally, it is true --- you can apply without letters in your field of choice, but in general, it is unwise. Radiology is pretty darn competitive these days, I should think the OP would want to max their chances.