Switching PGY-2 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one go about switching residencies to start PGY2 at another institution?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How does one go about switching residencies to start PGY2 at another institution?
Thanks
You need to talk to your program director, get their support, and then find a program that has an open position that wants to take you.
At some places it's a lot easier to do that than others. You can't count on being able to successfully switch. At some places, the program director might not want to let you do it or might get angry that you want to do it because of the scheduling hassles it can cause.

Last edited:
I switched residencies after PGY3 and had to find a PGY4 position because we were in Connecticut but my husband was about to start his Electrophysiology fellowship in Houston. I did it by discussing it with my current program director (making sure he was not going to shaft me in reco's because he WAS displeased) and explaining the situation in lots of letters to programs local to Houston.

You have to do a great deal of communication, avoid ruffling feathers, and make sure you have good (ie, not histrionic or whiny) reasons to present as to why you wish to switch programs.