Switching practice areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Berzerkernuts

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering if anyone out there has successfully transitioned from between practice settings (ex: outpatient to rehab, rehab to hospital, pediatric to adult settings, etc). I am presently applying/interviewing for my first job, and I think that I would like to work with children, however I don't want to pigeonhole myself as a strictly pediatric therapist. If I decide in a year or two that kids are not for me and I'd like to switch to, say, a hospital setting, will I be given the time of day?
 
I know a number of therapists that keep their foot in the door of a different setting through casual/per diem work. A friend works full-time outpatient and one weekend a month inpatient. Another does pediatric outpatient during the week and the occasional Saturday AM at a SNF. It would help with the transition. That being said, if you transition to a setting with high demand, you're unlikely to have a problem. IMO, I think transitioning INTO peds from another setting seems to be more difficult than the reverse.
 
Thanks for the input. I get the same feeling (although I have no real reason to) about switching into peds from an adult setting. I did an outpatient peds affiliation so I feel like I should ride that experience while I can.
 
What about going from ortho to neuro? I really liked my neuro internship but ended up taking an ortho outpatient/inpatient job. I occasionally get a neuro patient.
I'm not sure if I want to do outpatient ortho forever, but I worry that I may lack the skills to transition into neuro.