Switching Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my intern year in general surgery. I used to love it as a student, but this year has been miserable. I can't stand surgery anymore. When I was on off rotations this year, I was much happier, so I know it's not just the "intern blues". I tried to tough it out - I'm not typically a quitter and I wanted to see if I could learn to love surgery but I think I gave it enough tries.

On the other hand, I recently had an ER rotation and I loved it. I love the variety of patients and the small procedures. Time flew by on my shifts, and I even stayed late everyday because I enjoyed it. I never feel like this when I'm on surgery. Unfortunately, it is too late to find any openings to switch to ER for PGY-2. Now I'm stuck doing a second year in a specialty I don't like.

What should I do? Keep looking for off-cycle spots? I've called several hospitals but they are full. Should I start applying through ERAS? Would I have to repeat intern year? I would hate to have to undergo the whole interview process again, but it is better than doing 4 more years of surgery.

Also, I haven't told anyone in my program how I feel yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my intern year in general surgery. I used to love it as a student, but this year has been miserable. I can't stand surgery anymore. When I was on off rotations this year, I was much happier, so I know it's not just the "intern blues". I tried to tough it out - I'm not typically a quitter and I wanted to see if I could learn to love surgery but I think I gave it enough tries.

On the other hand, I recently had an ER rotation and I loved it. I love the variety of patients and the small procedures. Time flew by on my shifts, and I even stayed late everyday because I enjoyed it. I never feel like this when I'm on surgery. Unfortunately, it is too late to find any openings to switch to ER for PGY-2. Now I'm stuck doing a second year in a specialty I don't like.

What should I do? Keep looking for off-cycle spots? I've called several hospitals but they are full. Should I start applying through ERAS? Would I have to repeat intern year? I would hate to have to undergo the whole interview process again, but it is better than doing 4 more years of surgery.

Also, I haven't told anyone in my program how I feel yet.

You can't just step into a second year EM spot. EM has its own requirements much of which 12 months of surgery internship will not allow you to start in a PGY2 spot. You'll have trauma time and SICU time which can carry over but not enough to save you an entire year.

I think you need to talk to your PD about your plans because you will need their blessing generally to land a spot somewhre else, and then apply through ERAS for the coming cycle, don't be terribly picky about location or prestige, and hope you can find time to interview.

You should see if the same institution you're at has an ED program, and if so if they have any openings. You'll need to give your surgical program reasonable notice, but you might be able to start ED in January (6 months is reasonable in anyone's book). Would save you the whole match thing.

You should see if the same institution you're at has an ED program, and if so if they have any openings. You'll need to give your surgical program reasonable notice, but you might be able to start ED in January (6 months is reasonable in anyone's book). Would save you the whole match thing.

So that pretty much means that if you are currently an intern you need to know now if you made the wrong decision?

Well, I spoke to the ER program director but unfortunately another spot doesn't open for up for another year and a half (there were a couple of transfers into the program, who are graduating off-cycle).

I was thinking about starting the process for ERAS, but still looking for off-cycle positions while doing so. Not sure what else to do at this point.

So that pretty much means that if you are currently an intern you need to know now if you made the wrong decision?

Not sure how this follows. The OP states that they are unhappy in surgery, just starting their PGY-2, looking for options. Hence, they are making decisions now.

If an intern ends up unhappy, they can often submit an ERAS application by mid december or early January and (possibly) still be considered. So, current interns do have some additional time. Realistically, unhappy interns will end up finishing their year and then applying into the next match.

Well, I spoke to the ER program director but unfortunately another spot doesn't open for up for another year and a half (there were a couple of transfers into the program, who are graduating off-cycle).

I was thinking about starting the process for ERAS, but still looking for off-cycle positions while doing so. Not sure what else to do at this point.

You should:

1. Apply via ERAS. You will be applying for PGY-1's again, but understand that EM PGY-1 is very different from surgical PGY-1. Plus, you might get some credit for prior training (this will be program specific).

2. You could apply for PGY-2 positions in ED, for programs that are PGY-2 to PGY-4. I don't think there are many of those left (? any).

3. You may want to consider resigning from your surgical program. If so, you should have a plan. SOme states allow you a full license after a PGY-1, and you MIGHT be able to moonlight.

4. There is also some chance you will continue in surgery, and fall back in love with it. The intern year in GS can be pretty miserable.