Switching Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peduncle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you out has or knows someone who has switched residency programs (lets say from medicine to radiology). What are the steps necessary to do so, and what is the likelihood one will be able to switch.

Members don't see this ad.

peduncle said:
I was wondering if any of you out has or knows someone who has switched residency programs (lets say from medicine to radiology). What are the steps necessary to do so, and what is the likelihood one will be able to switch.

The likelihood that u would b able 2 switch depends on the specialty that u r attempting 2 switch in 2. I switched from FM to gas. U have 2 find out if the specialty that u r looking @ offers positions outside of the match. Finding a position outside of the match is easier than going through the NRMP. Good luck

CambieMD

hey, just curious, did u switch, after you completed residency,? and another question, did you get any credit for any of the FM months you did. thanks b/c i am in similar situation
good luk

CambieMD[/QUOTE]

actually i know a radiologis, who is been practicing for years now, but he started in medicine, then switched, bascially i think he did both residencies. it can be done. it may be difficult doing residency all over again, hours and being lower rank again,

bafootchi said:
hey, just curious, did u switch, after you completed residency,? and another question, did you get any credit for any of the FM months you did. thanks b/c i am in similar situation
good luk

I received credit for my internship so I started as a pgy-2 or ca-1. You will not receive any credit towards your anesthesia residency. you will have to complete the entire 36 month residency.

CambieMD

CambieMD
[/QUOTE]

thanks cambie :eek:

bafootchi said:
thanks cambie :eek:

Completing a 36 month residency is not that bad if you really want to switch specialties. Six almost seven months have already rushed by. The important thing is that I am having a good time.

CambieMD

practiced 19 yr in fp-now in 2nd yr of path residency and loving it-not easy, plenty of challenges, but worth it, so it can be done-depends on how big your "want to" is.

I know of someone who switched from OB to ED and although he had to repeat intern year, his payscale was commensurate with an R2.

How exactly does one go about find out if a program has open spots?

spacetygrss said:
How exactly does one go about find out if a program has open spots?

I sent emails (CV attached) to program directors at numerous (>60) programs prior to ERAS season. Also, I did go thru ERAS to apply to programs with available slots. I switched from peds to anesthesia (start as CA1 in July) after completing my peds intern year. As stated in a previous post, success of switching is dependent on specialty and programs--I was very, very lucky to find a spot to begin this year. The key is to get your name/application to as many places as possible.