Doc2b_123

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been on a 90-day leave of absence since a few weeks into intern year due to a personal/serious family issue. For the same reason, I have decided that I would really like to switch to a program closer to my family after the LOA, but I am not sure how feasible or likely that is.

As I start looking for programs with PGY-1 openings, some questions I have are:

1) Generally, will programs with unfilled positions still consider/accept new residents months after the program year has started (like starting in November vs July)?

2) Will taking the LOA hurt my chances when applying to other programs?

3) Is it viewed negatively that I would be graduating a few months later than normal or is that not really a big deal? I know my program was fine with making that accommodation, but I am not really sure what other programs think about it.

Any responses/advice/helpful information would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
I've been on a 90-day leave of absence since a few weeks into intern year due to a personal/serious family issue. For the same reason, I have decided that I would really like to switch to a program closer to my family after the LOA, but I am not sure how feasible or likely that is.

1) Generally, will programs with unfilled positions still consider/accept new residents months after the program year has started (like starting in November vs July)?

3) Is it viewed negatively that I would be graduating a few months later than normal or is that not really a big deal? I know my program was fine with making that accommodation, but I am not really sure what other programs think about it.

Thanks
Leaving your program during your first year would be considered a red flag. Your best bet is to try and switch after your first year is completed. Your problem here is that you have a 3 month leave. You'll have to make that up to be able to advance. This will put you off schedule for other programs.

So yes it will hurt you. You'll need the support of your PD to change and will need to show yourself to be a good resident. The leave will not be looked at as favorably by everyone.

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks
Also, looking at your post history, you were looking at post bacc programs in 2016. How are you now in residency?

About the Ads
OP
D

Doc2b_123

2+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Leaving your program during your first year would be considered a red flag. Your best bet is to try and switch after your first year is completed. Your problem here is that you have a 3 month leave. You'll have to make that up to be able to advance. This will put you off schedule for other programs.

So yes it will hurt you. You'll need the support of your PD to change and will need to show yourself to be a good resident. The leave will not be looked at as favorably by everyone.

Ah, that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the situation though. And to answer your question in the other post, I am using an account that my wife made sometime back when she applying to post-bacc programs b/c I just didn't feel like making a new account.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
Ah, that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the situation though. And to answer your question in the other post, I am using an account that my wife made sometime back when she applying to post-bacc programs b/c I just didn't feel like making a new account.
just a heads up that is against the TOS, every poster is expected to have their own account

as far as having more than one account on a given IP address, it's enough to explain to SDN (I'm not sure who specifically) that there are more than one person in a household having an account

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
My answer is a bit more complicated than the above. If there is a program close to your family and if they happen to have an opening now, then they may consider you. They are short a resident and that wrecks havoc with the schedule, filling it would be a huge plus for them. But this assumes that 1) the program is in the right location; 2) they have an opening; 3) you were competitive for the program in the first place; 4) they are willing to take a risk on you; and 5) your issue is resolved enough that you are ready to return to work. If you're currently in Cali and family is in NYC and you want to switch to a program in Chicago because it's "closer", that's unlikely to fly. If you start off cycle in a program that won't be a huge issue -- they will budget/plan/schedule for it. But it takes all of those stars aligning to make it happen, plus support of your current PD would be ideal.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Making your own account is free and easy to do. It takes just minutes.

When 2 or more users share an account, it creates confusion for users (as you can see above); I suggest either you or your wife create another account and keep them (and the questions/situations) separate.

Reactions: ThoracicGuy
Sep 29, 2017
Status
Resident [Any Field]
After starting my residency I experienced anxiety which affected my residency performance. After fitness evaluation, I received a contract non renewal and my PD will write me a letter stating I would be better suited for a different specialty without mentioning the anxiety or the cause for my departure other than that I am seeking a different specialty that is a better fit. Similarly to this poster I will not be completing PGY-1 and am looking to reapply.

AMG, no other red flags, good board scores.

1) What are my chances reapplying?
2) Should I go through ERAS and attempt to find positions in SOAP?
3) How does one go about finding off cycle PGY-1 position or ERAS programs it would be appropriate to apply to? Is there anyone at the institutional level that would have knowledge of how to best go about this?
4) How should I address the cause for departure issue during interviews with program directors that may arise? It has been treated and resolved.
5) Would I need new recommendation letters and/or MSPE? How would I get new letters in a different specialty if I already graduated?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
After starting my residency I experienced anxiety which affected my residency performance. After fitness evaluation, I received a contract non renewal and my PD will write me a letter stating I would be better suited for a different specialty without mentioning the anxiety or the cause for my departure other than that I am seeking a different specialty that is a better fit. Similarly to this poster I will not be completing PGY-1 and am looking to reapply.

AMG, no other red flags, good board scores.

1) What are my chances reapplying?
2) Should I go through ERAS and attempt to find positions in SOAP?
3) How does one go about finding off cycle PGY-1 position or ERAS programs it would be appropriate to apply to? Is there anyone at the institutional level that would have knowledge of how to best go about this?
4) How should I address the cause for departure issue during interviews with program directors that may arise? It has been treated and resolved.
5) Would I need new recommendation letters and/or MSPE? How would I get new letters in a different specialty if I already graduated?

Thank you for your time.
Most important is for you to get your situation under control and pick a specialty that will play to your strengths and not highlight your weaknesses.

1) Who knows? Depends on what specialty, mostly. Being an AMG is helpful, though.
2) You can’t do SOAP without submitting an ERAS application. It’s almost ALWAYS better to go through the main match first (and you have to) - there is no way to predict what will be left and you could be at a huge disadvantage competing against others without a red flag.
3) Spots absolutely come up (like yours?), but it’s largely word of mouth. Others may help more with this, Some specialties have a centralized list of openings.
4) Honesty is usually the best policy. Their number one question will be if you can complete your year/residency as it’s a pain to fill a spot.
5) You’ll need at least one LOR from your program (PD), and preferably more. Do you have a good relationship with staff in your program?

You’ll need to prove why you are interested in the specialty you choose, ideally with at least one letter but that might be tricky. If you have a specialty in mind, set up a meeting with your instituion’s PD (assuming that specialty is at your institution) to discuss the next steps and directly address your chances for applying.

As you know, ERAS is already open and you are on the clock here. Move with speed if you want to apply this year.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
As mentioned above, if you're looking for an open PGY-1 position now, the only option is to hunt around. Some specialties may have a centralized list, many do not.

As you move forward, you'll have to decide whether you want to put the details of your issue out front or not. Sure, your summary letter may simply say "needs a specialty that's a better fit" and not go into details, but that can actually hurt rather than help. Without any details, how am I supposed to know if my specialty will be a better "fit" or not, other than you've applied to it. Perhaps I'll interview you to find out, or I'll simply pass on your application since I don't want to waste time interviewing someone who isn't a good fit.

There is no "right" answer here, you need to pick which option seems best to you.

TennisShoeChic

Yes, I do need that many cats
2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2014
Probably Instagram
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Thanks
As a resident who also faced significant issues with anxiety (largely secondary to public speaking) may I recommend Toastmasters!!!! That group has done more for my public speaking skills and confidence than anything. Seeing a psychologist also definitely helped. I eventually ended up a reapplicant this cycle. Good luck to you!

Reactions: mcl
About the Ads