Molecule

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Hey--

Has anyone here switched Psychiatry Residency programs for R2, R3, or R4? I'm curious about several issues this raises:

(1) When do you have to start the ball rolling on a possible transfer?
(2) Does it draw the wrath/hostility of your current Program Director?
(3) Do you have to do this through Match/NRMP? Or can you achieve a transfer outside of these channels?
(4) I know that a couple of programs I interviewed at took additional residents for R2...but does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to enter a program for R3 or R4?

Lastly, I am RESEARCH TRACK. Typically, these are structured so that 90% of 4th year is devoted to lab research (and, ideally, blends into 2-3 additional years of post-residency research fellowship). So, my concern here is that I don't want to waste a year in 4th year--in a lab I'm not going to be staying in. (Anyone know if being Research Track introduces additional complications?)

The reason I'm considering a transfer is because of a relationship...which I think may lead to marriage. Ideally, I would like to be in the same city as my partner.

Thanks!

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Molecule said:
Hey--

Has anyone here switched Psychiatry Residency programs for R2, R3, or R4? I'm curious about several issues this raises:

(1) When do you have to start the ball rolling on a possible transfer?
(2) Does it draw the wrath/hostility of your current Program Director?
(3) Do you have to do this through Match/NRMP? Or can you achieve a transfer outside of these channels?
(4) I know that a couple of programs I interviewed at took additional residents for R2...but does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to enter a program for R3 or R4?

Lastly, I am RESEARCH TRACK. Typically, these are structured so that 90% of 4th year is devoted to lab research (and, ideally, blends into 2-3 additional years of post-residency research fellowship). So, my concern here is that I don't want to waste a year in 4th year--in a lab I'm not going to be staying in. (Anyone know if being Research Track introduces additional complications?)

The reason I'm considering a transfer is because of a relationship...which I think may lead to marriage. Ideally, I would like to be in the same city as my partner.

Thanks!
i met a 3rd year resident at one of the programs i interviewed at who was transferring to another program for 4th year, because his significant other had been accepted into law school in another city. this person was involved in research as well, and apparently had no problems. the pd at his program was supportive of the switch, and he was going from one competitive program to another of similar competitiveness.

another resident i met on the interview trail also comes to mind -she transferred from one program to another because she detested the program she was at. not sure whether she transferred into third or fourth year, however... also not sure whether there was bad blood between her and the pd of the program she left. again, the program she went to was of similar caliber as the program she left.

anyway, sorry i can't help with the details... but it definitely seems like transfers are possible. why not ask your pd?