Switching specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to how people switch from one residency specialty to another. When do you have time to interview? How do you get letters of rec from the program that you're currently in? Are you required to inform your current program that you are looking to switch?

I would appreciate any knowledge from someone with experience switching specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't done it myself, but I know people who have done it. The first step is to tell your current program director that you are not happy in your current program and are interested in switching. If your PD is supportive of the switch your life just got a lot easier. The next step is to inquire from your PD what it will take to get out of your current program if you find a program that will take you.

Once you have your PD's "blessing", you have to speak to the program director in the specialty that you are interested in. The easiest way to accomplish this is to do an elective if your program permits it. Once they like you, and they know you're interested the switch is easy.

good luck