• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Switching to Peds, advice needed!

HeartofChambers

Sep 2, 2012
    Hello lovely folks, I wanted your advice, appreciate any responses.

Background: US medical graduate and US citizen from a top med school, also got a MPH from a top school and did a year of internal medicine. After did work aboard and became inspired to go into pediatrics. Unfortunately though I never did a sub-internship during 4th year in Pediatrics and therefore have no letter of rec from a Pediatrician.

Questions:
    1. Am I at a huge disadvantage given my history?
    2. If I could get a letter from someone in a foreign country who is a Pediatrician who I worked with closely, would this be frowned upon or look odd? The doctor is not an American doctor or US trained but does work for a well known International organization.
    3. Any additional words of wisdom would help too !

Thank you for your help !!

Last edited:

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 14, 2002
    1. Attending Physician
      Hello lovely folks, I wanted your advice, appreciate any responses.

Background: US medical graduate and US citizen from a top med school, also got a MPH from a top school and did a year of internal medicine. After did work aboard and became inspired to go into pediatrics. Unfortunately though I never did a sub-internship during 4th year in Pediatrics and therefore have no letter of rec from a Pediatrician.

Questions:
      1. Am I at a huge disadvantage given my history?
      2. If I could get a letter from someone in a foreign country who is a Pediatrician who I worked with closely, would this be frowned upon or look odd? The doctor is not an American doctor or US trained but does work for a well known International organization.
      3. Any additional words of wisdom would help too !

Thank you for your help !!

1. No
      2. Sure, why not. Pediatric program directors would probably not know that person, but, so what? A good letter is a good letter.
      3. Welcome to a wonderful field! As usual, advice is to apply broadly to a range of sizes of programs if you are geographically able to do so.

About the Ads

HeartofChambers

Sep 2, 2012
        thank you both for your kind words. I have been looking at different websites of residency programs and many do not specify needing a letter from a Pediatrician. I am wondering do you feel that I should get this letter from the foreign doctor I worked with aboard in a pediatrics capacity or get one from my 3rd year clerkship director who knows me but only worked with a few times.

Thank you again

twilightdoc

Attending
        Jun 12, 2009
        1. Attending Physician
          thank you both for your kind words. I have been looking at different websites of residency programs and many do not specify needing a letter from a Pediatrician. I am wondering do you feel that I should get this letter from the foreign doctor I worked with aboard in a pediatrics capacity or get one from my 3rd year clerkship director who knows me but only worked with a few times.
          You should talk with your clerkship director about a letter. If he/she worked with you directly, it could be a "combination" letter- part of it would reflect your overall clerkship performance and part of it would be the clerkship director's own impressions after working with you. There are a few Peds programs that still ask for a "Chairman's letter" or "Clerkship letter", and most of those seem to accept a letter from the clerkship director.
          And most programs are asking for a total of 3 letters, but will accept 4. If you choose to get a letter from your international Peds contact, I would probably make that your 4th letter. (Some programs might wonder why you couldn't find 3 letter-writers from your US experiences who could recommend you).

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.